Grampian Transport Museum
Ever since the invention of the wheel, man has been actively pursuing ways to make transport faster and better. Steam propulsion was abandoned for coal which in turn was abandoned for combustible engines. Early motor vehicles looked like carriages but today most cars offer luxury in sleek, elegant or sporty shapes. Transport has certainly gone from strength to strength and at the Grampian Transport Museum, you can discover even more about this interesting facet of mankind’s history.
The Grampian Transport Museum center’s its displays around a number of historically important local vehicles that have made their mark on the area at some stage or another. One of their more interesting vehicles is that of the Craigievar Express, a steam-powered tricycle that was built in 1895. A little further on in history has us arrive at the Sentinel Steam Wagon which was built in 1914 while the Albion Fire Engine gives visitors insight into early fire-fighting methods. The display also includes – amongst many other things – the well-restored Cruden Bay Tram which once served as a popular means of public transport. All the exhibits change once a year so visitors may well like to visit on more than one occasion. What’s more, many of the displays are open to the public and children and adults can climb aboard a variety of these early modes of transport and have their imagination whisk them away to a bygone era.
The Grampian Transport Museum is a family-orientated operation that regularly holds a number of indoor and outdoor events, mainly during spring and summer, which include the Ride-On Fun Day held annually in May. On this day children can ride around the museum track in historical vehicles laughing to their heart’s content. The museum is also involved in classic car shows, truck shows, car auctions, motorcycle conventions and the Shell Eco Marathon. Most visitors are pleased to find that the museum is open daily and features a variety of facilities such as a café, picnic area, shop, parking area and a wheelchair for the handicapped. You can visit between April and October between 10:00 and 16:00 from Monday to Sunday.