Scotland.com

Tag: orkney islands

  • Castles

    Earls Palace Birsay

    The massive ruins seem strangely out of place but still dominate Birsay. One can only imagine what Earl’s Palace was like in its full glory. It stood by the shore of Birsay Bay, a proud edifice whose cruel owner oppressed the people of Orkney as long as he ruled them.

  • Castles

    Bishops Palace

    Kirkwall on Orkney Island is home to the Bishop’s Palace which was built in the mid-12th century for Bishop William the Old, near the St Magnus Cathedral. The Bishop was a friend and crusading companion of Earl Rognvald Kolsson, the cathedral’s founder. The Bishop and his staff moved here from their original seat of power in Birsay. The Islands were then under the rule of the King of Norway.

  • Castles

    Noltland

    The ruins of the Noltland Castle dominate the harbor at Pierowall about a mile from Westray. It was built on land granted by the Bishop of Orkney, Adam Bothwell, to his brother-in-law, Gilbert Balfour, when Bothwell was made Sheriff of Orkney by Mary Queen of Scots in 1560. A fine example of a 16th-century fortified Z-plan tower house, its massive walls are pierced with 60 embrasures for ...

  • Castles

    Balfour

    Balfour Castle is aptly known as a Calendar House. It has seven turrets, twelve exterior doors, 52 rooms, and 365 panes of glass! Balfour Castle is an imposing structure on the southwest end of Shapinsay Island of Orkney. It stands between the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea surrounded by woods, close to the shore.

  • Castles

    Earls Palace Kirkwall

    Robert Stewart, the first Earl of Orkney and his son Patrick go down in history as the most tyrannical Earls of Scotland. The two Earl’s Palaces in Birsay and Kirkwall were built by them with slave labor on land partially acquired by force.

  • Castles

    Kirkwall

    Kirkwall Castle does not exist; but in the fourteenth century it did stand at the present junction between Albert Street, Castle Street and Broad Street. All one can see today is a commemorative plaque on a building on Castle Street in the lovely city of Kirkland on Orkney, Scotland. In the 13th century the islands were ruled by Norse kings and Henry Sinclair, (or St. Clair) a well known ...

  • Golf Courses

    Thurso

    Thurso is recognized as a good holiday course but it is not without its mean moments, particularly with the wind blowing from the Pentland Firth. Founded in 1893, Thurso Golf Club has the northernmost course on the British mainland. The present 18 hole course was built in 1963 using four different nine-hole courses.