scotland.com
Aberdeen and Grampian

Aberlour – A Delightful Tourist Destination

Aberlour is a small village found in the Speyside District and in the region of the Highlands in Scotland. The full name of the village, which has a population of about 1,092, is Charlestown of Aberlour. The name of the village comes from its founder Mr. Charles Grant of Elchies who named it after his son in 1812.

Located in Aberlour was an orphanage for boys and girls. The orphanage consisted of two buildings that housed the children and a school where the children were educated. The founder of the orphanage was Charles Jupp, a minister who belonged to the St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church, which was also used by the orphanage.

Situated in Aberlour were three schools for boys to attend, from day one of school all the way to the end of their secondary education. Boys would first attend Wester Elchies and then at the age of eleven years they would move to Aberlour House for two years. From the age of thirteen onwards they would attend the Gordonstoun prep school. Dr. Kurt Hahn, a German educationalist founded these schools in the 1930s onward. 1986 was the school’s Golden Jubilee year and by then the school had become a mixed school for both boys and girls.

The Aberlour village, though small, has been made famous by much of its produce. For instance Walker’s Shortbread is something most people will recognize in many countries around the world. Another product that is well known by many is the Aberlour single cask malt whisky, also known as Aberlour A’bunadh. James and John Grant founded the distillery in 1826. It is now known as Campbell Distillers. About fifty years after it’s founding, the Aberlour distillery was rebuilt by James Fleming and after a few changes of hands was purchased by Campbell. A Roman Catholic monastery once stood in the area in which the distillery was built.

When you walk around the village of Aberlour you will come across a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists called Craigellachie. The bridge was designed by Thomas Telford, a civil engineer and built to provide a crossing over the River Spey. The village has a lot to offer to visitors and is well worth a visit.