Peebles Golf Club
Peebles Golf Club is considered to be one of the jewels of the Scottish Borders and one of the best courses in Southeast Scotland. The Peebles golf course was designed by the legendary James Braid in 1892 and is a hilly parkland course overlooking the River Tweed and was considerably modified by HS Colt in 1934. The course lies in the shade of the rolling Border hills and the Tweed valley and is set high above the picturesque town of Peebles. It offers many days of glorious sunshine, though rain and wind can make things more difficult in the spring and fall.
The Peebles golf course is a short one at a little over 6100 yards and makes good use of the natural hilly landscape. A par 70 course, it is challenging without being overwhelming and offers an enjoyable game. The two par fives come at the end of the two nines. The second hole however is deemed to be the toughest one. After the fairly difficult early holes the course, though hilly, becomes easier to play. The back nine that head towards the clubhouse are comfortable to play till the 14th hole. After that the final holes offer a challenge to most players.
The golf club welcomes visitors and charges a moderate fee. A new clubhouse was opened at Peebles in October 1997. This fine golf club is now fully licensed with full catering for visitors. It is functional all through the season and offers bar meals and snacks all day. Peebles offers facilities for corporate groups and they can spend an enjoyable day with a round of golf and excellent meals. Non-members can also avail themselves of the facilities of a Club Professional who offers lessons.
The course is excellently maintained with immaculate greens and grassy fairways. Over the years the course has matured and offers spectacular views of the Borders. The terrain is hilly and some motorized buggies are available to make it less strenuous. Peebles in general offers a peaceful atmosphere for a relaxing holiday in scenic surroundings. Besides golf, one can enjoy fishing and walking around this delightful Scottish Borders town.