Scotland’s Panmure Golf Club
Panmure Golf Club is one of the oldest clubs in the world, founded in 1845. At that time a nine holes course was laid by Robertson and Pires of St Andrews in the area of Monifieth. This was later extended to 18 holes in 1880. The Panmure Golf Club was then shifted to its present location at Barry in 1899. Today Panmure Golf Club is a traditional links course that is situated adjacent to the world-famous Carnoustie Championship Links and the Monifieth Golf Course.
The eighteen-hole course was later modified and extended under guidance of James Braid in 1922. Panmure Golf Club is one of the founders of the British Amateur Championship in 1885. Panmure has hosted innumerable important events including the British Seniors Amateur Championship and the Scottish Strokeplay of 1997. Panmure is also a final qualifying venue for the Open Championship for St Andrews and for Carnoustie. It is the venue for the Final Qualifying for the Open at Carnoustie in 2007.
The par 70 course has a medal yardage of 6,317 yards and calls for accurate driving and iron play. Furthermore the greens are generally small with subtle borrows that are a result of play on the course for over a century of play. It is known for its two short holes and just one par-five on each nine. The course has a fine selection of holes, the toughest being the 387-yard 6th hole, known as “Hogan’s Bunker”.
It has a gentle opening before the pine forests begin. Instead of the traditional sand dunes, heather and hillocks are the challenges on this course. The interesting thing is that the course has a parkland look about it but the trees do not come into play except in the third hole. The holes in the middle are a greater challenge than the relatively gentle beginning and end and offer a fantastic links experience.
A day spent at Panmure Golf Club is as rewarding as its illustrious neighbors. The clubhouse is full of history and has an unmatched old world ambiance.