Tour the Historical Estate of Ardgrain
Ardgrain, or Nether Ardgrain is located near to the old road that used to run from Aberdeen to Fraserburgh, but can now only be reached by a small, narrow track that leads to the house. It is believed that since the 1400s many structures have been built on the site of the current day Ardgrain. It has become an important historical site in Scotland and was listed as a Grade A site of not only historical significance but of architectural importance.
The land on which Nether Ardgrain is located is known as Ardgrain. Therefore, landmarks and other structures have been given distinguishing names, such as the hill that is situated behind the house is known as the Hill of Ardgrain, and then there is North Ardgrain and Upper Ardgrain. Nether Ardgrain, means Lower Ardgrain. And the name itself has been derived from the Celtic language. The word “Ard” means store and obviously, the word “grain” refers to cereals or crops. Put together, the name Ardgrain means “Grain Store” or “Grain Point”.
The first structure at Nether Ardgrain is thought to have been constructed by the Innes famil, before the documented Royal Charter building, known as the Barony, was erected in 1528. John Kennedy of Kermuck, a land baron, bought the building in 1629, and the family also owned Piltochie, Ellon Castle and Coldwells. Kennedy reconstructed the building of the house to what is seen today. Even though the family owned extensive land and homes, they too were forced to flee Aberdeenshire during 1652, during the event known as The Slaughter of Watertown.
When approaching the house visitors will notice the royal coat of arms at the main entrance with the date 1664, and the house has a motto and sundial on the front. From 1740, the house fell under the ownership of John Edward Bean who remodeled the interior of the house with beautiful woodwork. The two-storey building, with an attic, is breathtaking on the inside and is a marvelous example of architectural splendor of the time. A one-window gable, intricate woodwork and seventeenth century front windows are just a few features on this wonderful historical site and structure. It has a wonderful history and is magnificently preserved. It is easy to see how it became of the most treasured possessions of Scotland that is being preserved for future generations to marvel at.