Scotland’s Village of Old Scone
Scone or Skun is a village or a suburb of Perth and Kinross and is located in the center of Scotland. Scone is also found in the historical province of Gowrie, an alluvial lowland famous for its fruits. The medieval Scone was located west of the New Scone village and was the coronation site for all the Scottish kings as well as the repository for the Coronation Stone. Kings like Kenneth the first, Robert the Bruce, all the way to Charles the second were coroneted here until 1651 when the coronation site was changed.
The new village of Scone dates back to 1885 when the Scone Old Church was built, the first building in the historical town. Notably, the Old Church was first built in Old Scone and was removed stone by stone to its new site. The Stone of Scone or as it was also known the Stone of Destiny or the Coronation Stone was a rectangular block of yellow sandstone with a carved Celtic cross on it. The Stone of Scone was famously used historically as a throne and was associated with the crowning of Scottish kings during their coronation rites.
The Coronation Stone was kept at the abbey of Scone, but now it is just ruins. In 1296 the Stone was taken by Edward the First to England, as spoils of war, where it was kept in Westminster Abbey and used to coronate monarchs of England. At Westminster Abbey the Coronation Stone was placed under the St. Edward’s Chair, an old wooden chair, and kept there till it was needed.