Tag: whisky

  • Dallas Dhu Distillery

    The best place to find out hands-on how exactly a distillery in Scotland works is to visit Dallas Dhu Distillery. This was the last distillery to be built in the nineteenth century. It was constructed in 1898-9 by a whisky blending company known as Wright and Grieg Ltd. Today it is a living Scottish museum run by Historic Scotland.

  • Dalwhinnie

    The highest distillery in Scotland is located at Dalwhinnie in Inverness-shire at an elevation of 1073 feet. The little town lies midway between Perth and Inverness in a glen with the Monadhlaith Mountains on the one side, the Forest of Atholl, the Cairngorms and the Grampians to the other. It was a popular haunt of smugglers and cattle drovers on their way to the markets of the south – in ...

  • Glenfiddich

    The world’s largest selling single malt, Glenfiddich is the only Highland Scotch whisky to be distilled matured and bottled in its own distillery, William Grant & Sons in Scotland. Single malt whisky is one that has been distilled in only one distillery and is not a blend of whiskies from different sources. One of the few distilleries still owned by the original family, it was founded in ...

  • Talisker

    Robert Louis Stevenson praised it in his 1880 poem 'The Scotsman's Return from Abroad' with the words: The king o' drinks, as I conceive it, Talisker, Islay or Glenlivit. Talisker is the only distillery on the Isle of Skye, and is named for a nearby farm. It is located on a lee of Cnoc-nan-Speireag-Hawkhill, near the village of Carbost. It is built on the exposed west coast of the island, on ...

  • Glenturret

    You can conveniently visit what is reputed to be the oldest distillery in Scotland, which is just an hour’s drive from both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Though illicit stills in the numerous small huts or bothies in Glenturret flourished even in 1717, a legitimate distillery was established in 1775 to make single malt whiskey. Located next to the Glenturret Burn in the heart of the scenic ...

  • Benromach

    Benromach Distillery has perhaps been closed longer than it has been functional. It has changed ownership so many times that it is difficult to keep track. Fortunately the whisky that was distilled and left to mature as far back as fifty years ago is part of the treasure trove that is being released today. Located at Moray, Speyside, the acknowledged home of the finest Scotch, Benromach ...

  • Ardmore

    Be careful if you admit not to have heard of Ardmore, for it is a common ingredient of many top whiskey blends! Ardmore uses barley with such extreme peat qualities that only the discerning can appreciate its characteristic pungency. Most of the production from the stills of Ardmore is used by independent brand owners, but aficionados can locate the company’s original brands on occasion. You ...

  • Campbell

    The original Aberlour Distillery was believed to be founded by John and James Grant in Aberlour, Banffshire in 1826. Officially, though, it is recorded as being built in1879 by James Fleming about a mile from the original site in Speyside. Aberlour means ‘mouth of the chattering burn’ in Gaelic. The distillery was taken over in 1892 by R. Thorne and Sons who enlarged it to a great degree. ...

  • Blair Athol Distillery

    Blair Athol is one of the oldest working distilleries in Scotland and stands at the gateway to the Scottish Highlands. A distillery at the site of Blair Athol was originally functioning from 1798 but little is known about it. The present distillery at Pitlochry in Perthshire Scotland was established in 1826. Pitlochry is a picturesque town about 25 miles north of Perth.

  • Glendronach Distillery

    Little has changed in Glendronach Distillery since the Victorian era. The distillery was founded in 1826 by James Allardice who led a consortium of farmers and businessmen. It is set on the gentle, green slopes of the Valley of Forgue in the heart of Aberdeenshire’s castle country'. The distillery and its whisky get their name from the Dronac burn that flows through the grounds.