Tag: castles

  • Balnagown

    Balnagown Castle, also spelt as Balnagowan, is an ancient seat of the Ross family. Their name and title is derived from the County of Ross Highland, where they held ancestral land. Located near Tain on the southern bank of the Balnagown River, the castle is two miles northwest of Invergordo in the Parish of Kilmuir Easter. Surrounded by thickly forested hills, the castle dominates the narrow ...

  • St Andrews

    St Andrews Castle was not really a castle, but has been the main residence of the bishops and archbishops of St Andrews since the 1200s. It was the seat of power and administration of the Scottish Church and was the location for some of the turning points in the long history of Scotland. As a part of Robert Bruce’s policy the original structure was destroyed by the Scots in 1337 to avoid it ...

  • Kellie

    Kellie Castle is a very fine example of the domestic architecture of Lowland Scotland. It lies two miles inland, northwest, from the charming coastal villages of Pittenweem and St Monan's. The land here rises gently from the north shore of the Firth of Forth to the cairn on top of Kellie Law with dense woods to the south of the castle.

  • Denmylne

    Denmylne Castle gets its name in a curious way. The castle stood near an old water mill on land that was granted by the king to the Balfours. Mylne in Gaelic means mill and it is known as King's Mill as the land was forfeited by the early owners, the Earls of Fife to the Crown. The ruins of the castle can be seen southeast of Newburgh in north Fife, opposite the entrance to a large quarry.

  • Ballinbreich

    The ruins of Ballinbreich Castle can be seen almost three miles east of Newburgh on a steep bank on the southern shore overhanging the Firth of Tay. The ruins stand on private property but it was originally with the ancient Abernathy family before it passed by marriage to the Earls of Rothes. The Earls of Rothes took from it the title Baron Ballinbreich. Ballinbreich is a Celtic word which ...

  • Balgonie

    Balgonie Castle is the oldest tower that is still standing intact in the Kingdom of Fife. Built for Sir Thomas Sibbald of Balgonie around 1360, the baronial castle is situated in the heart of Fife and is perched on a steep bank overhanging the winding River Leven. Balgonie Castle passed to the Lundin or Lundie family through marriage and they were responsible for much of the castle’s expansion.

  • Craigmillar

    Just three miles south-east of Edinburgh is one of the best preserved medieval castles of Scotland, Craigmillar Castle. This imposing L plan towerhouse was originally built in the 14th Century and fortifications were added subsequently. Its location is such that from the roof of the towerhouse one has a view of the entire city and its surroundings in all directions.

  • Edinburgh

    Edinburgh Castle is the grandest castle in Scotland and the history and growth of the country and the castle have been closely intertwined over the centuries. The structure, built on a huge volcanic Craig known as Castle Rock, dominates the city. It is visible from everywhere and offers the most spectacular view from every elevation. On a clear day you can see the mountains of the Kingdom of ...

  • Dudhope

    Dudhope Castle, one of Dundee's oldest buildings has a magnificent location on an escarpment overlooking the city on the southern face of the Dundee Law. The original house was built in the 13th Century as home of the Scrimageour family who were appointed Hereditary Constables of Dundee by William Wallace.

  • Culzean

    The top floor apartment of Culzean Castle was presented to General Eisenhower in 1945 in recognition of his role during World War II – a thank you from Scotland. Today that apartment is rented to paying guests by the National Trust for Scotland, who received the castle from the 5th Marquess of Ailsa and the Kennedy family in 1945.