Torphichen Preceptory West Lothian Scotland September 7th
Tour Scotland video of the exterior of Torphichen Preceptory in West Lothian. In the 5th century St Ninian brought the Christian faith to West Lothian Scotland and built there a small chapel in the village of Torphichen. Seven centuries later the Knights of St. John established their Scottish headquarters, or preceptory, at Torphichen and incorporated the St Ninian's chapel into their newly constructed Norman church in 1168. As a result the Knights dedicated the building to their founder, John the Baptist, while dedicating one of its side altars to St Ninian. Little remains now of the original Preceptory, save for the transept, chancel and tower.