MacMhuirich Stone Dedication – Part 2
Video highlights from the July 22, 2011 unveiling of the memorial stone dedicated to famed Scottish bard, Lachlan Mor MacMhuirich. Sponsored by the Clan Currie Society, the event took place at Makars' Court in Edinburgh, Scotland directly alongside the Scottish Writers Museum. The stone includes the first two verses of MacMhuirich's celebrated war poem, the Harlaw Brosnachadh which was delivered exactly 600 years ago from the dedication date on the eve of the Battle of Red Harlaw which took place on July 23, 1411. Featured participants at the dedication ceremony included the Rt. Hon. George Grubb, Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh, Dr. Donald William Stewart from Edinburgh University, Malcolm McLean from the Gaelic Arts Agency and Robert Currie, president of the Clan Currie Society. Musical performances were provided by Hazen Metro (bagpipes) and Simon Chadwick (clarsach). The event preceded the launch of the Clan Currie Society's inaugural Clan MacMhuirich Symposium which was held at the Royal Scots Club in Edinburgh on Saturday, July 23, 2011. Featured speakers at the symposium included Prof. Hugh Cheape from Sabahl Mor Ostaig, Dr. David Caldwell from the National Museums of Scotland, and Drs. Donald William Stewart and Wilson Mcleod from Edinburgh University. In addition to the annual symposium, the Clan Currie Society also produces the Pipes of Christmas (a musical celebration of Christmas in the Celtic spirit) and the annual observance of Tartan Day on Ellis Island. The name Currie is the anglicized form of the Gaelic MacMhuirich. The original name of the Currie's. The MacMhuirichs served as Hereditary Bards to the Lords of the Isles and later to the MacDonalds of Clanranald as well as other prominent Highland Clans and families. The video was produced and directed for the Clan Currie Society by Allison Nuara.