Along the Rob Roy Way part 1 
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=10968e537b84d8dc602ecd9&skin_id=1602&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_urlAlong the 79-mile 'Rob Roy Way 2012' contains some highlights from trips along the Way this year and at Callander, which is synonymous with Ben Ledi (both of which achieved prominence during the 1960s as the setting and backdrop for "Tannochbrae" in the first TV series of 'Dr. Finlay's Casebook') - we climbed the 879m Corbett 'hill of the gentle slope' or 'God's hill' in the snow. For the record, the second series of Dr. Finlay was filmed in Auchtermuchty, perhaps more remembered of late for its mention in the Canadian Miller's advert that got banned. As you may recall the ad featured a Mounty who announced during the first of a two-part advert that he had informed his grandmother that he was going to visit Scotland for which she had given him a fox hat. In the second advert screened minutes later he's now in a phone box phoning his grandmother informing her that he is now in Auchtermuchty, to which she replied "Wear the fox-hat?". As you can guess, it got famously banned after a few showings.Callander's attraction to visitors goes back a long way. The Romans named this place Bochastle when they built a fort beside the River Teith here in the first century AD. Today this episode in Callander's history is marked primarily though the name of the Roman Camp Hotel, near the eastern end of the town. Check the pink 'Roman Camp' building. The last person to be tried and imprisoned for the crime of Witchcraft in the UK was Helen Duncan from Callander. In 1941 during World War II she held a séance in Portsmouth at which she indicated knowledge that HMS Barham had been sunk. As this fact was kept secret from the British public (until 1942), the Admiralty had no choice but to attempt to discredit her. This video also visits Balquhidder village - or ''Kirktoun' located at the east end of Loch Voil in Balquhidder Glen, north of The Trossachs, as we once again visited Rob Roy's grave to see that famous testament "MacGregor Despite them". Says it all, I suppose. A single-track road leaves the A84 at Kings House Hotel and winds west for 8 miles to its end at Inverlochlarig farm, once owned by Rob Roy. This road passes through some stunning scenery and leads to the small car park and open shelter at Inverlochlarig. Can remember sheltering there after doing Stob Binnein many, many years ago.The village of Balquhidder is centred on the village church, where, by the ruins of an earlier church, Rob Roy is buried beside his wife Mary and two of his sons. The farm across the road from the church was once tenanted by one of Rob's sons. On the other side of the Loch is Stronvar House, once a MacGregor castle but now a private home. The origin of the name 'Balquhidder' is a matter of much controversy but the most favoured explanation is that it derives from the Gaelic 'Baile-chuidir', meaning 'the town or land of joint occupancy'. Balquhidder Glen has been long associated with the Clan MacGregor, but before the arrival of the persecuted MacGregors it was the domain of the Clan McLaren or McLaurin (clan Labhran), probably since the 6th century. There were one or two famous conflicts between the two clans in their shared tenancy of the glen - sparked off by seemingly minor events such as 'who has the right to first enter the church'. The defeat of the Jacobites in the 1745 rising started the decline of the clans in the glen. After Culloden the Crown appropriated the lands of the Jacobite supporters and the tenants were forced to leave the lands where their ancestors had lived for centuries. The Kirktoun has a long religious history and in early times was described as 'a thin place', that is, a place where heaven and earth were very close. The Church was built in 1631 to replace an earlier church to the east of it, where Rob Roy's grave is sited. The old church was in use until 1855, by which time dampness and fungi on its walls necessitated its replacement. Its most famous minister was Robert Kirk, who arrived there when he was twenty and subsequently ministered for sixteen years. He believed in fairies and wrote a book about them called "The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies." He moved to Aberfoyle and made Doon Hill famous, as that is where he was supposedly kidnapped by the fairies and imprisoned in a huge pine tree! His gravestone is at the old parish church at Aberfoyle. Seton Gordon refered to him as the Rev Kirke and quotes author Patrick Grahame who believed the minister was "in fairyland". Think they all are. From the Church and graveyard it's possible to walk up to the McLaren gathering place at Creag an Tuirc, "the hill of the boar".[all pictures and text copyright roddymck - 2012: this video can be viewed advert free at 'MySharePage', its source of origin, on OneTrueMedia].