The Earls of Rothes relocated to Fife in the 1700s and settled down on a piece of land that was on the northern bank of the River Leven. By the year 1947, the coal mining industry was spreading to all corners of Scotland and the land that was once inhabited by the Earls of Rothes became known as Glenrothes. It was a town destined to become a popular and well-visited tourist ...
Two memorable legends are associated with Glenrothes Distillery. One is about the resident ghost and the other of the great fire which saw whisky flowing down the streets. The latter incident had locals scooping up the amber liquid in whatever they could find and it left the farmers’ cattle and the fish in the Rothes Burn rather tipsy.