Located on a rocky promontory at the mouth of the Firth of Forth on its south shore, Blackness Castle is a few miles west of Edinburgh, Scotland. Nicknamed the ‘Ship which never sailed’, it was built at a natural harbor, which served Linlithgow Palace, around 1440 by Sir George Crichton. The Crichtons were one of the most powerful families of Scotland. It was handed over to King James II in 1453.
Since 1972 Dalhousie Castle is a luxury hotel that stands on acres of forest, parkland and river pasture. The Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Spa combines colorful history with ultimate luxury. Fifteen of the twenty nine bedrooms in the Castle have historical themes, including the Robert the Bruce and the De Ramseia suite.
Neidpath Castle stands on the site of an earlier castle that belonged to Sir Simon Fraser. It passed by marriage to the de Hays family in 1312, who built the existing castle as a massive stone four storey L-plan tower house. Built against the steep banks of the River Tweed, the main block with its rounded corners originally had three vaulted rooms. Neidpath Castle was known as Jedderfield ...