backpacking trip advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backpacking trip advice...

my wife and I are planning a trip in late May through the end of June. We are planning to backpack/wild camp for a great part of the time with a few days allotted for travel, sightseeing, etc.

rather than just stay on one trail for the duration, we would like to spend maybe 5-7 days on 3/4 trails.We (or rather, she) would like to spend 1 night in a hotel/hostel/B& B roughly for every 2-3 nights of wild camping.I have been gathering some information but would like some further input. we have discounted the idea of using a guide or holiday company for a variety of reasons, one is that we don't want to have a rigid schedule.

So, my ?'s:
    a) can anyone recommend 3-4 trails that would give us a variety of scenery..perhaps a coastal path, a walk through the highlands, etc.

b) I know the west highland way is extremely popular. does one have to book accommodations well in advance during this time frame? Would this also be true of any other trails or Scotland in general? (I don't want to spend a great deal of time in advance making arrangements. I prefer my trips to be much more flexible and "seat of the pants".)

thank you in advance for any replies or help.My wife has other spots in mind for our trip this summer so i need to make sure I pull this off. I have always wanted to visit Scotland - I think it is because of my affection for both whisky and golf. regards!

You may want to invest in a good travel guide book. There are many out there. I use the DK Eyewitness books, and I got them ad Barnes and Nobel. They include hiking trails and have contact info for just about anything you'd need to get information on. There is just a Scotland one, and it's very helpful.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

backpacking

I will be back packing myself next year (2016) basically flying to Inverness, coach to Kyle of Lochalsh then backpacking around Skye. I have checked out stoppages ie camp sites along the way and I intend to stay for 2 weeks approx though I haven't put a time on it as I don't want to be limited to a schedule. I thought it best to check the local route I would be taking, the scottish wild camping protocol and equipment needed. You will find the Scottish people very friendly and helpful should help be needed.

Comment

Definitely visit Skye, use the Sligachan campsite and explore the Cuillin range, Elgol, Fairy Pools, Dunvegan, Duntulum, Neist Point, hop on a bus up to Portree and beyond to the Trotternish and the Quiriang, the Old Man of Storr. Head back to mainland and over to Applecross, and the northwest coast. Plan you time for May / early June before the midgie season. (Having camped on Skye many years ago - I would really take a small hire car, to make it easier to get around and see more. Scotland looks small on the map, but believe me, the coastline, inland sea lochs and hills, can make travelling around time consuming.)

Hiking and Backpacking In Scotland - Long Distance Walks and Day Walks

When to Go to Scotland

By Frommer's

Weather

Seasonal weather should be given careful consideration when you're planning your trip to Scotland. The Lowlands usually have a moderate temperature year-round. In spring, the average high temperature is 53F (12C), rising to about 65F (18C) in summer. By the time the crisp autumn has arrived, the temperatures have dropped to spring levels. In winter, the average temperature is 43F (6C). Temperatures in the north of Scotland are lower, especially in winter, and you should dress accordingly. It rains a lot in Scotland, but perhaps not as much as age-old myths would have it: The amount of rainfall in Edinburgh is exactly the same as in London. September is often the sunniest month.

When You Find Bargains

The cheapest time to travel to Scotland is off season: November 1 to December 12 and December 26 to March 14. In the past few years, airlines have been offering irresistible fares during these periods. And weekday flights are cheaper than weekend fares, often by 10% or more.

Rates generally increase March 14 to June 5 and in October, and then hit their peak in the high seasons from June 6 to September 30 and December 13 to December 24. July and August are when most Britons take their holidays, so in addition to the higher prices, you'll have to deal with crowds and limited availability of accommodations.

Sure, in winter Scotland is usually rainy and cold -- but it doesn't shut down when the tourists leave. In fact, the winter season gives visitors a more honest view of Scottish life. Additionally, many hotel prices drop by 20%, and cheaper accommodations offer weekly rates (unheard of during peak travel times). By arriving after the winter holidays, you can take advantage of post-Christmas sales to buy your fill of woolens, china, crystal, silver, fashion, handicrafts, and curios.

In short, spring offers the countryside at its greenest, autumn brings the bright colors of the northern Highlands, and summer's warmth gives rise to the many outdoor music and theater festivals. But winter offers savings across the board and a chance to see Scots going about their everyday lives, largely unhindered by tourist invasions.

Comment

Working...
        X