No announcement yet.

First-Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the Avon stuff in lots of different varieties, including hand cream, cream and lotion moisturisers. The midgies STILL feasted upon me.... Husband thinks it's because I'm female, very pale skinned with red hair

Over the years, I have tried every cream/potion known to man... Nothing works.
    Last edited by Polwarth; 7th January 2015, 16:39. Reason: Typos

Comment

When staying in the Highlands we use 'Smidge' and so far that has worked well for the last few years
      I found that Avon products didn't work for me !!

Read about Smidge on the site below

About Smidge | Midge Forecast

Comment

The highland midgie is the smallest of our flies. In certain areas there can be millions of them for every hectacre. They fly in clouds usually near ground level, at about human height........

I admit I have not been bitten too much, even when my hill walking companions have been 'eaten alive'. I like my hat with the net that comes down to my shoulders as it prevents the need to hold my breath when I walk through a midgie cloud. There is nothing worse than breathing them in.

They may be a bit like mozzies who are attracted to type O blood. On the positive side, only the females bite, and they seem to prefer men.

Comment

Zatchoo casting nasturtiums on my sexuality?

Polwarth, the Morningsaide matron

Comment

Not at all Polwarth LOL

Just pointing out that even in the insect world it's the females who are dominant and prey on the weaker sex.

Comment

Ah, would it were true.

just look at IS and the subjugation of women in Muslim dominated countries, where mozzies are endemic...

je suis Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
                Ah, would it were true.

just look at IS and the subjugation of women in Muslim dominated countries, where mozzies are endemic...

je suis Charlie

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Hey all! I just wanted to jump in and give you my experience because it sounds like we may have the same travel style.

I was in Scotland in 2014 backpacking (not camping though) for the month of May. In planning my trip I picked a few cities I wanted to visit/were centrally located based on what I wanted to see. I made sure I had several hostel/inexpensive lodging options in each place (all the SYHA hostels I stayed at were great). Because Scotland has a great public transit system I had no issues getting a seat on any bus/train even if it was last minute. If you do some research, the local buses will take you to more out of the way places you just may have to walk a bit which was no issue for me as I love walking.

I did enough research that I knew I had several options of things to do in any one area in case plans changed which helped if the weather was too rainy (or if I was out too late in a pub hanging wih the locals). And honestly some of my favorite days were ones where I didn't do much at all. Sitting on a bench looking at the sea in Oban. Talking to tweed store owner about American football (he knew a lot!!) in Stornoway. Meeting up with a Stirling castle guide and his wife at a bar for dinner.

I was really set on seeing the outer Hebrides so I did go on a five day tour because that was the most cost effective way to see them (that and there aren't too many buses on those islands).

Other than that I went with loose plans and had no problem getting around or finding places to stay although I did go in May which is shoulder season so I can't speak for summer.

If you're really into haunted stuff you have to stay at the SYHA in Stirling. It's near the castle, an old jail, a huge graveyard, a beheading stone, a mercat cross, and the original owner of the building is buried in the front yard. I kid you not. I slept very little in that damn place because I was so spooked.

Comment

Working...
                  X