Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Use of Scottish Money in the UK?

Hi All,

We have received differing views regarding the use of Scottish money (bank notes) in the rest of the United Kingdom. In view of this, we've decided to create a poll to find out what the majority have to say. We would appreciate your assistance in clearing this up.

Thank you all in advance for your contribution to the poll.
    You can use Scottish currency everywhere in the United Kingdom.
    66.67%
    You can use Scottish currency at certain stores in the United Kingdom.
    27.27%
    You CANNOT use Scottish currency outside of Scotland.
    6.06%

To clarify this, it isn't classed as legal tender but rather as a sort of promisary note that Scottish banks are allowed to print as a courtesy by the Bank of England. In England many places will be unwilling to accept Scottish notes though some places will but I never travel to England without English notes so I don't face any problems. Of course everywhere should accept them but realistically you have to understand the unwillingness of some places given the prevalence of forged notes nowadays.
    "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Scottish notes can be used throughout the UK and any shop that refuses to accept it is actually breaking some sort of law! Having said that, there are many times that the person in the shop will examine the money closely, but in the case of certain notes I can't say I blame them cos even to me they looked fake!

Concerning that, when I lived in England many years ago, I was in a shop and had some pound notes in my hand. A little boy asked his mum what I was holding and she told him "oh, that's what we used to call money!" It wasn't as if the English 1 note had been out of circulation for long at that point, but it just goes to show there was still a certain attitude towards the Scottish notes... though I never did get short-changed as I heard many supposedly did (tho I sometimes wonder whether that was true or not)!

Anyway, I cannot remember the last time I saw a 1 note and it is rare now to get a Scottish 5 note... so I do wonder if the Scottish banks have stopped producing these! It has also been suggested that use of the Scottish note should completely stop, but I doubt people north of the border will be happy with a wallet full of Bank of England notes! Until such time as that happens, the Scottish notes will still be considered legal tender (at least by me!)

To counteract what Andy has said concerning this, I lived and worked in England for seven years, but spent a lot of time in Scotland as well. I never once thought to change my Scottish money into English money before heading south again... and never once regretted that!

Comment

From a legal viewpoint a Scottish banknote only has the same status as a cheque i.e. it is a negotiable promisary note so no one who refuses to accept it in payment would be breaking a law-even incredibly enough in Scotland.
        "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by ScotsTraveller

To counteract what Andy has said concerning this, I lived and worked in England for seven years, but spent a lot of time in Scotland as well. I never once thought to change my Scottish money into English money before heading south again... and never once regretted that!

Be totally honest. You are saying that you could catch a bus in England and the driver wouldn't have any problem or make any comment if you tried to pay with a Scottish banknote?

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by ANDY-J3
            Be totally honest. You are saying that you could catch a bus in England and the driver wouldn't have any problem or make any comment if you tried to pay with a Scottish banknote?
            Yes... or at least, in my experience there's never been a problem! I'm not referring to one part of England either - I lived in Cumbria (until about 14 years ago), but more recently have visited various areas (Wiltshire, East Midlands, Kent, Cheshire) and each time I have travelled with the money withdrawn from bank machines in Scotland... never once did anyone not take that money!

However, I do stand (well sit!) corrected on the legal side of the issue, but, as most people see it, not accepting money is... well, not very clever really! However, I do tend to use my debit card more often than not and, next time I am in England, will use it south of the border. Are shops down there not going to accept that as it is issued by a Scottish bank? I think not!
            Last edited by ScotsTraveller; 28th August 2006, 16:15.

Comment

Ok here's my little bit.....

Since I moved up here from England I have noticed that when I go back down south that people don't
              like to take Scottish notes, it seems that they think that they are forgeries !!...

The Clydesdale one's are the one that I seem to be left with, but some good news garages never seem refuse them !!

Some pubs will take them...

Will tell you a tale about one...

My hubby went in what was his local a few months ago and the barmaid refused to take a Scottish
              Tenner and when the landlord came in my hubby asked him why it was refused and he said it shouldn't
              have been and bought Jim a pint for the inconvience(made his day...lol)... it was a new landlord so he
              didn't know that Jim used to be a regular !!

I have been behind people in shops when they have tried to pay with Scottish money and I would
              say that about 30% were refused,(Clydesdale again)

If you do find that a shop will not accept your Scottish notes find a Bank or Post Office and they usually
              are happy to change to English notes for you !!

Comment

Blech! Anywhere that won't take my money loses a customer. (Although I did sometime prefer to make sure I had English notes, just for simplicity's sake, and I was willing to understand that a tiny village shop in the middle of nowhere might find Scottish money sufficently rare to have to think twice about it.

Comment

I just found this on the subject on wiki...

In the United Kingdom, only coins valued 1 pound Sterling and 2 pounds Sterling are legal tender in unlimited amounts throughout the territory of the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom legislation that introduced the 1 pound coin left no United Kingdom-wide legal tender banknote.

Currently, 20 pence pieces and 50 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 10 pounds; 5 pence pieces and 10 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 5 pounds; and 1 penny pieces and 2 pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 20 pence.

Coins and banknotes do not need to be 'legal tender' in order to be used as money to buy and perform other transactions for which money is intended. For example, British banknotes issued by various institutions circulate in the United Kingdom without being legal tender in all the jurisdictions of the United Kingdom.
                  Does this mean that Scottish shops, etc can refuse English bank notes the same as people are implying English shops, etc do with the Scottish notes?

I agree with Celyn on this one 100% - if somewhere isn't happy with the money I offer then I will go elsewhere!

Comment

Don't know about England, but your Scottish Pound note is good in Houston, Tx.

You get a free dram if you hand it over at the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by McDink
                      Don't know about England, but your Scottish Pound note is good in Houston, Tx.
                      Thats good to know

I just had another thought on this... if someone from England was to journey up to Scotland, would they consider changing all their English notes into Scottish before they do? How many of their banks would have a sufficient quantity of Scottish notes for them to do that? Also, once in Scotland would they refuse to accept Scottish notes handed over as change... or complain in a bank when its cash machine or teller handed over a bunch of those damned things? Yes they might stare at a 1 note, but then they are rare here (as I mentioned before!) but they would probably still recognise it for what it is - and if they did question it, chances are it would be more due to the fact the English version has been out of circulation for a long time!

Anyway, if said English person did have a problem with Scottish currency... he's welcome to begger off back south of the border anytime he chooses! However, like I've never had a problem with Scottish money in England, I've never heard any complaints for those receiving the same once they've travelled north of the border! So... if some people are refusing it, they are the ones with a major problem (and a potential loss of business, which not many can afford to do now - especially as their transgression could easily be broadcast to the world!)

Comment

THERE'S a tidy trade happening on eBay at the moment, as the notaphilist's of the world snap up Scottish Pound notes at up to ten times their face value.
                        Might be worth hanging on to your Pound notes instead of worrying about spending them in Foreign lands.

Comment

Originally posted by McDink
                          THERE'S a tidy trade happening on eBay at the moment, as the notaphilist's of the world snap up Scottish Pound notes at up to ten times their face value.
                          Might be worth hanging on to your Pound notes instead of worrying about spending them in Foreign lands.

Heavens, really? Ooh, I should hold on the next ones I get then.

Comment

I don't know about stores in England but I used a Scottish 20 pound note at a Post Office in Caerleon with no problem at all.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

The RBS still produce 1 notes.
                              I got a whole stack of them a couple of weeks ago when i went in to get change for my car boot sale.

I have had Scottish notes refused MANY times in England.
                              And if im in a certain mood, when i get an English note in my change here in Scotland, I ask them to swap it for a Scottish one.
                              'all our plans were made on streets the winter paved, as streetlamp lucozade orange fell...'

Comment

Working...
                              X