What a wonderful site you all have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a wonderful site you all have

I just found this site this morning and have found a wealth of up to date information and wonderfully helpful people as well.

We are planning a honeymoon to Scotland in late January (we will miss Robbie Burns day by one day) and I love to gather my information from people who have 'been there, and done that.'

I need to look at my itinerary again to be certain to ask the appropriate questions so I will just say again how glad I am to have found this site.

suggestions?

I looked at our honeymoon itinerary again and see that we are going to be flying into Edinburgh on the morning of the 26th and staying overnight at a B&B. The rest of our trip is to be spent in Hilton Hotel properties courtesy of hotel points we have gathered through our business travels. We understand that B&B's are the best possible way to see and experience Scotland, but we have ALL of these points that will expire if we don't use them. So, the 27th we are to Dunkeld House for four nights, the Grosvenor Hilton in Edinburgh for two nights, the Strathclyde Hilton for three nights and then back to Edinburgh for a stay and a B&B to finish the trip.

I've read on this forum that the large cities have wonderful transit systems and we will put those to use when we are in Glasgow and Edinburgh but I think we might need a car for our time in Dunkeld. Yes?

I look forward to any suggestions anyone might like to make as far as sights to see and tours to take. I like to see and do everything but will be traveling with a new husband that likes to take things easy and save things for the next visit. So, I will not be able to see everything I would like to in this visit but would like to see a few things everyday.

Comment

May be not this trip

but have a look at my site before I pull the plug on it on the 25th of Nov Sorry we can't do the accommodation but there are lots of links and info that you may be interested in on the "Why come here" page

Comment

erm.....

is there a particular reason why you are staying at the Strathclyde Hilton? It is way out near Bellshill and there is no transport infrastructure (other than motorway) nearby you would have to get a taxi to a train station. There are two Hiltons in the centre of Glasgow which would allow you to get around easier. I am thinking maybe your points cant be used in these hotels for some reason! Otherwise please take my advice.

Comment

Marti, I did not know the logistics around the Strathclyde, thanks for the heads up. I will talk to my better half and see why he booked that hotel.

Hutcircle, what is your website? I would love to go have a look.

Comment

It turns out we do and did want to stay in Glasgow, but they were booked or blacked out for awards travel. We will call again to see if anything has opened up, thanks again for the heads up. Maybe we should cross Glasgow off our list of places to see this time and stick to just Dunkeld and Edinburgh. Again, I will need to talk to my better half.

Comment

Do you absolutely need to go with Hilton for Glasgow? There are dozens (literally) of quality hotels, in Glasgow - but unless I had to be in the area, (no offence to Bellshill) I'd look for something closer than the Strathclyde Hilton in Bellshill.

I can't see why the hotels would be so busy then (although Celtic Connections folk music festival is probably still going on at the end of Jan), but you could try this link and see if there is anything more suitable:

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/hotels.html

Cheers

SD

Comment

bbindenver

Hutcircle, what is your website? I would love to go have a look.
                Just click on the web icon on anyones post if they have one, this will take you to their chosen web site and you can e-mail them direct if you click on the mail icon (if they want to be contacted0

Comment

as much as ti hurts to say it.....

Originally posted by bbindenver
                  It turns out we do and did want to stay in Glasgow, but they were booked or blacked out for awards travel. We will call again to see if anything has opened up, thanks again for the heads up. Maybe we should cross Glasgow off our list of places to see this time and stick to just Dunkeld and Edinburgh. Again, I will need to talk to my better half.

If you cant stay in Glasgow centre, and you dont have a car, there is no point in staying at the Strathclyde Hilton, so it is up to you whether you come to Glasgow and stay somewhere else. The Strathclyde Hilton is used for business conferences and people travelling on the motorway network. It is not a tourist hotel because of the location.

Comment

Everyone, thanks for your input. I have my better half working on things for us.

ScabbyDouglsa, as to why Hilton, as I mentioned earlier we have a ton of Hilton points that are going to expire if we don't use them so...we are staying a Hilton's this time around.

Comment

Working...
                    X