bars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bars...

I'd like some feedback, please! I'm going to Edinburgh the last week of November. I'm traveling by myself and will be meeting some others. While I'm in the hotel, I will want to go to the bar, and I'll probably be by myself. Now, will this be a problem? The reason I ask is that I have a book about Scotland, and the author writes that it is not a good idea for a woman to go into a bar by herself...is this true? Also, I'll probably have coffee and little else...again, the author did not think this was a good idea---can anyone please let me know the "ins and outs" of this? Will I be making a faux-pas if I do this? I have one or two days when I'll be by myself, and I don't want to be isolated in my room!! Surely, Edinburgh is more accepting than this book leads a person to believe! Help! Thanks, Texasmujer

There should be no problem going to a hotel bar alone and ordering coffee. In an average pub, I think you'd have trouble getting coffee and you may have better luck with a cold soft drink. Again, there shouldn't be any problem going in alone.

The only sort of places you might get a few funny looks, etc. would be the more hard-drinking working men's type of pub, but if you are self confident there's no actual reason why you would get more than a curious look from some of the long term residents.

Comment

I'm happy to report that all went well while I was in Scotland; even when I had coffee and/or water to drink!! People were having too much of a good time to bother about someone else's drinking! I should've known that!! But, it was great---I loved the accents, the sights; you should be happy that I didn't try to drive while in Scotland; there would have been horrendous car accidents for sure. That was my contribution to peace, safety, and happiness (for you Scots)(I AM JOKING)while I was in Scotland.

Comment

good to hear you enjoyed yersel TM

although I wish some of you guys would take a chance on Glasgow!

By the way TM, who was the author of the book you refer to, I am going to write to him/her and put them straight.

Comment

Glasgow

Marti, I am planning a trip to Scotland for our honeymoon in at the end of January and we do plan on visiting Glasgow as well as Edinburgh and the Perth area specifically Dunkeld.

Do you want to give us any tips for the must sees? We would like to do the bus tour of the city but everything else is up in the air.

I'll have to admit that with planning a wedding, working full time and dealing with holidays, I have had little time to read up on Scotland. I have read bits here and there and have added some things to our 'honeymoon binder' but I expect I won't have any real time to dedicate to reading up on Scotland until after the 1st of the year and maybe not even until we are on the plane flying over.

Comment

Marti 33, D'You know what? I think thoae books I read about Scotland were woefully 'out of step' with Scitland!!
            I never had any problem going into any bar and asking for a glass of water OR coffee (of course, my friends were drinking the hard stuff---I don't---medical reasons (a long
            story)), and we left good tips; matter of fact, when we went to another bar in which the bartender also worked, he gladly came right over, and brought me a glass of water without my even asking for it. Talk about feeling special...I was flattered that he remembered, and was thoughtful enough to do that!! ANYWAY, I think that particular book was just out-of-step, aven though the publishing date was current. Hmmmm...

Comment

Re: good to hear you enjoyed yersel TM

Originally posted by Marti33
              although I wish some of you guys would take a chance on Glasgow!

By the way TM, who was the author of the book you refer to, I am going to write to him/her and put them straight.
              i spent most of my time in glascow when i visited and really preferred it. loved the shopping.

Comment

Working...
              X