To live in Scotland...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To live in Scotland...

I've dreamed of living in Scotland one day. It it very hard for non citizens to work and live there? I am a veterinary professional working towards my M.D. Would I be accepted as I am? Could I find what I can't seem to find here in the United States?... advice is very welcome and appreciated.
    ~Monika~

Yes, it is difficult for people with no close ties to get permission to work here, unless your skills are specifically required. The list is subject to frequent change.

Edited to add... All EU nationals can work in any member-state. There are also slightly different rules for Commonwealth nationals.

The requirements can be found for each type of visa on the UKBA site.

Comment

Polwarth...

Hi Polwarth!
      That does sound a little daunting. I do also have Dutch nationality. Do you suppose that might help me more than if I just had my American citizenship? I am in the medical field. I specialize in animals. Here in the states, its not considered a failing profession, but that's doesn't mean it will carry the same weight over there. Now I have to wonder if my education and degrees will also carry over or if I'll have to take some sort of re-qualifications exams. Oh yes, definitely daunting to say the least.

Thank you for taking the time to explain things to me. I will start to do more indepth research. Difficult as it may be, but a dream is only a dream if you don't do anything about it.

Thanks again!
      Ciao,
      Monika

Comment

Do you have a Dutch passport??

Comment

Your US passport means getting a visa and fulfilling the requirements for that hard to get visa.
          As a Dutch national, as I saif before, you have absolute freedom to move within any other member state's territory ... And that obviously includes anywhere in the UK.

You really should look up the visa requirements!

Comment

If you have an EU passport then there really shouldn't be any issue in moving to Scotland.

Comment

Awesome-sauce! I currently have duel nationallity, American and Netherlands, and I guesd if you want to get technical, I can also claim Chilean citizenship as well. I'm super stoked! I've always wanted to live somewhere in Scotland. I can't necessarily explain why, just that I do. I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. Do Scots distain Americans as much as the Dutch? Is haggis really made out of stomach and intestines? I could go on forever! I have a wealth of information on Chilean, American and Dutch cultures. Maybe we can trade?
              O_o
              Ciao,
              Monika

Comment

I seriously suggest you visit Scotland before you even think about moving here.

It is the law that anyone living in Scotland must eat haggis once a week.

Comment

and you need to catch it yourself mind....none of this asda rubbish

Comment

They are fast - but i find if you get up early, your success rate is much higher as their wings and legs are still stiff from sleeping - and dont wear perfume they can smell it a mile off, it better to disguise your smell by standing in a cow pat or some sheep dung.

But there is nothing that beats a freshly caught Haggis

Comment

Originally posted by Monika-Fierce View Post
                      Awesome-sauce! I currently have duel nationallity, American and Netherlands, and I guesd if you want to get technical, I can also claim Chilean citizenship as well. I'm super stoked! I've always wanted to live somewhere in Scotland. I can't necessarily explain why, just that I do. I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. Do Scots distain Americans as much as the Dutch? Is haggis really made out of stomach and intestines? I could go on forever! I have a wealth of information on Chilean, American and Dutch cultures. Maybe we can trade?
                      O_o
                      Ciao,
                      Monika
                      No, in fact you will find that people will take an interest in you as soon as they hear the American accent, you're still quite a novelty in most parts outside of Edinburgh and since we share a "similar" language, eat the same type of food, consume the same media, then most Scots will be eager to be friendly towards you.

So long as you don't come across as rude or ignorant to them.

Comment

Originally posted by och aye the noo View Post

They are fast - but i find if you get up early, your success rate is much higher as their wings and legs are still stiff from sleeping - and dont wear perfume they can smell it a mile off, it better to disguise your smell by standing in a cow pat or some sheep dung.

But there is nothing that beats a freshly caught Haggis
                        I use a pack of hunting cats (ginger wans) on the hillside but find that I have to use on average a pack of 9 because generally the haggii will kill about 4-5 of the cats per hunt but it distracts them long enough for me to club it with a spade.

Comment

Haggis is cooked in the stomach, as if it were a bag. There are many things in a haggis and it tastes a bit like liver. I don't believe you would find intestines, or the contents of, in a haggis, cleaned intestines were much better used as sausage casings.

Rather than go out and hunt it up with cats or sheep or the local constable, just go to the grocery store and buy one! (Sorry members, sometimes you have to be honest with the newbies!)

You really should go visit first, and not necessarily at the nicest time of the year, go in the winter, see if you can do it.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

KathyV

Aye your talking about the farmed "Brown Haggis" which is readily available in most good shops although a village butcher is best.

We are talking about the "Wild Black Haggis"- I can assure you is not easy caught, and there have been a variety of methods used to catch this elusive, cunning, bird.

They have well known to team up with "The Famous Grouse" - trust me, when they team up then blood flies

Hope this helps
                            OH - your retirement home Ceres, North East Fife, flat, 15 minuets you have the hills, plenty of good fishing both river and sea, salmon, sea trout, brown trout, Haddock, etc, Edinburgh airport 50 minuets, and 3 hospitals within 10 - 30 minuets
                            The people friendly
                            Or why not build your own house, I will sell you a plot if you like.

Comment

Monika

What type of veterinarian experience is it you have.

Is it domestic animals such as cats and dogs or do you have agricultural experience such as sheep cows etc, or equine?

There are usually opportunities within the agricultural, if I was you I would time my arrival just before the lambing season etc, to maximise your possibilities

Us Scots are very friendly, Scotland is what you make it - be friendly and outgoing and she will return that warmth, be arrogant and uptooth, and she will bring you down to earth on yer head with a bump

Comment

Working...
                              X