How to do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do it?

So, here's the deal. I'm a 24-year-old American woman who emigrated to Finland several years ago. Finland is one of the most comfortable places in the world to live, but I have a lot of problems with the way things are here, and the fact that I might never learn Finnish quite well enough to study to the best of my ability, or find a good job. I've thought about moving to somewhere in the UK for years now, and Scotland appeals to me more than England, Wales, or Ireland. I feel as though I would have a great many opportunities to study and/or work in an English-speaking country, and I do not want to move back to the US.

I've been reading up on moving to Scotland, and though it's certain that I wouldn't be able to move there in less than two or three years (because my daughter is not quite three years old, and I wouldn't want to move her all the way to another country when she's less than four years old), I need to already think about exactly how I should move.

I'm shooting to study either industrial design in Scotland, fashion design, or acting. There are supposed to be several good schools in Glasgow for design, and others for acting. If I were lucky enough to get accepted into a school in Glasgow, I'd move there in a heartbeat...I want to apply to Cardonald College for fashion design at some point in the future, and (though I know the place is virtually impossible to get into) the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland for acting.

Now, would it be best for my daughter and I to find an apartment in Glasgow, and start looking for some kind of job immediately? I will be a Finnish citizen by next year; since Scotland is part of the EU, would I be elligable for free health care, child care, free schooling, and even financial help, if I needed it, with living? I won't be able to find any kind of job in Scotland before I move, because I have no education past high school. I have never worked in Finland, I've spent the last several years studying Finnish and Swedish. I also don't see myself being able to apply to a school in Glasgow, get accepted, and then move to Scotland to study. Because where would I live? Is it common for students in Scotland, even those with children, to live on the campuses of their schools?

I hope I don't sound too naive when I talk about my plans for moving to Scotland...I've moved by myself to another country before, and so I know how hard it is, how much money it can take, and how hard it can be to assimilate into the culture and make friends, etc. Any replies to this thread, thoughts and suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Have you ever visited Scotland? I haved lived in a number of countries around the globe, but wouldn't have moved without making at least one visit. I mean, what if you find you hate us?

Comment

I've never been to Scotland. Hopefully going to visit later this year. I don't see why I would hate Scots...I've known several people who have lived in Scotland, and they were happy there. The biggest thing that attracts me to Scotland is the fact that it's an English-speaking country. I want to give it a try.

Comment

You really should go visit,and take your daughter as well, check into facilities for her, make sure she can settle in as well. That may be the thing that makes your decision anyway, you may not 'hate' it, but she might?

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Kathyv, you have a point. I plan to visit Glasgow with my daughter a few times before we move. Her well-being is top on my list.

I have some more questions about studying in Scotland that I hope someone can answer:

1.) Is it common for people with children to study at universities?
          2.) Are Scottish students paid to study, as Finnish students are?
          3.) Is it easier to find a place in a daycare for your child, if you're a student?
          4.) Are students with families ever offered apartments on the campuses of their schools?
          5.) Exactly how much does it cost to study in Scotland? Do all schools cost more or less the same? I've been told that Finnish citizens are able to study in Scotland for free, because the EU picks up their tuition.

Comment

One thing that may be helpful is to contact the universities you are interested in and see what they have regarding answers to your questions. Not a lot of actual people living in Scotland come to this site, it's an American owned site, so my biggest advice I guess is to check other sources for answers.

Many universities in the States partner with overseas schools, so if you attend, say Eastern Oregon University, and if you wish to go abroad to classes, you can go to a 'sister' school in say, Austria. But they don't cover your travel or living expenses while you are attending there. That's up to you. It may be that other countries have these kinds of arrangements with other schools in other places, something to check maybe.

Comment

the EU will pay your tuition fees if your a Finnish national so you would need to check that one too.

Comment

Thank you, Tig and Kathyv. I've already written to Cardonald College with all my questions, and they actually just sent me a short e-mail containing a link to their site, which didn't answer any of my questions to begin with...Perhaps I should write them again. And I will write the other school I'm interested in, and then maybe one or two additional schools.

Have any of you ever been to Glasgow? I was reading something about the buses there. Apparently, bus schedules in Scotland are complicated and hard to figure out, though I can't think why they would be harder to figure out than bus schedules in any other country. I came across a few websites that were talking about that.

Comment

i live in Glasgow

buses on the major routes come every 10 mins....20 mins for quieter routes and 30 mins for others...

so unless your wanting to get the first or last bus theres really no need to even look at the timetables....some buses meander all over the place though.

its not very hard to understand it when you do either but its easier to use this.... Traveline Journey Planner - [Journey Planner | Greater Glasgow | FirstGroup plc.]

you can also get the bus finder app for your phone too.

the train services are good here too...and usually cheaper/faster (plus kids go free if you buy a return......and a return is usually only 20p or so more expensive than a single so you would still save money even if your only going one way)
                  Cheap train tickets online, train times and train timetables in Scotland - ScotRail

or National Rail Enquiries - Journey Planner

Comment

Thanks for the information, Tig!

Comment

I've been to Glasgow twice, spending the nights there both times and it's a truly interesting and exciting place to visit. I expect living there would be great, then you'd have a lot of time to just poke around, hopefully! There's a lot of beautiful buildings, pretty surrounding areas, lots of history, I think a person could find much to amuse themselves there!

Never did the buses or trains in Glasgow, but I was impressed with the public transport overall while visiting the UK, (we have none where I live) and I know it probably has it's flaws and such, everything does, but it seems pretty efficient.

Good luck with your plans, it will sure be an adventure for both you and your daughter!

Comment

I finally found the answer to my question! thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X