Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving due to husband getting a job in aberdeen

Hello,
    My husband has just got a job working off aberdeen.
    We currently live near York in North Yorkshire.
    We have never even been to aberdeen or its surrounding areas therefore we are clueless in where to live and where not to live .
    We would want to rent.
    We also have a 6 year old daughter who would need a good school
    Any help would be great appreciated
    Thank you in advance
    Kirsty

Hello.

One of the Mods here (Babz) used to live in Aberdeen and will be helpful, I'm sure.

There are very few Scots on this board, it's American owned and most of the membership, including us Scots, have little knowledge about Aberdeen, although I've always enjoyed visiting the city.

Comment

How would I get in contact with the person you mentioned ??
      Kind regards and thanks
      Kirsty

Comment

Well, you could use the Private messaging facility, shown on blue, top right hand corner of the page.

Comment

Hi Kirsty and welcome !

Not too far from you right now, just a little west of Doncaster.

We actually lived in the city outskirts and I loved it.

I would suggest that you looked on line at the Evening Express and Press and Journal newspapers
          but unless you pay you will only see headlines.

If you have Sky/Freeview/Sat TV you can go and look at the news programmes on the
          BBC for the North East.

I don't know anything about school's as my daughters are adults.

As your husband is working offshore I am thinking that you will need to meet people who can help
          you settle in and hopefully become friends so the remote areas would not be my choice.

I am thinking that your husband will be probably flying out of Dyce Airport so will start with the
          better areas around there(only my opinion though).

North of Aberdeen:
          Dyce

It has a rail link to Aberdeen, the line goes to Inverness and beyond !

Inverurie (on rail link too)
          Old Meldrum
          Kintore
          Bridge of Don
          Danestone
          Balmedie
          Bit further north is Ellon

West of Aberdeen:

Kingswells
          Westhill
          Skene
          Alford
          and many villages on the way

South of Aberdeen and South West:

Cove
          Portlethen(Sometimes trains will stop there but not often)
          Stonehaven(Mainline train link)
          ~~~~~~~~~

Peterculter
          Drumoak
          Banchory
          Aboyne
          Ballater
          and up to Braemar

Aberdeen Considene(think wrong spelling) is the only estate agent that comes to mind just now.
          If you want a real good area you will have to pay high, most landlords only give a 6 month letting
          contract, you need to find out the possibility of a permanent stay as you don't want to be
          moving all over every 6 months.

Hope this helps in your start to find out about the area, anything else you want to know please just ask !!

Comment

Nearly a 2 year old post but I am doing the same, moving from York to the Aberdeen area and would love some up to date info on areas to move to. North of the river ideally and on a train route in to Aberdeen for the wife. I will have loads of questions I am sure as both the wife and I are a little nervous to be honest about leaving everything here and moving up. Help if you can with any info at all. Cheers, Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Sniper View Post
              Nearly a 2 year old post but I am doing the same, moving from York to the Aberdeen area and would love some up to date info on areas to move to. North of the river ideally and on a train route in to Aberdeen for the wife. I will have loads of questions I am sure as both the wife and I are a little nervous to be honest about leaving everything here and moving up. Help if you can with any info at all. Cheers, Rich
              You are right to be nervous as it is a big move to make.

Ask away for questions and if possible I will answer them, I have family still living in Aberdeen and can call upon their help if needed.

I am going back up in May for a little while and looking forward to it

Comment

Thanks Babz
                I think the first question is where to locate ourselves.
                The job is likely to be based in Aberdeen near to the harbor. This is not confirmed yet. I would like to be North of the River as I have heard that there is going to be a bypass in to the city soon so that would stop the bottle neck getting over the bridge and in to Aberdeen. Can you confirm this is true.
                So North of the river locations to move would be a starting point please. Ideally on a train line or within 5 minutes of a train station. Not too close to Aberdeen due to cost of houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Sniper View Post
                  Thanks Babz
                  I think the first question is where to locate ourselves.
                  The job is likely to be based in Aberdeen near to the harbor. This is not confirmed yet. I would like to be North of the River as I have heard that there is going to be a bypass in to the city soon so that would stop the bottle neck getting over the bridge and in to Aberdeen. Can you confirm this is true.
                  So North of the river locations to move would be a starting point please. Ideally on a train line or within 5 minutes of a train station. Not too close to Aberdeen due to cost of houses.
                  Have you been and looked around Aberdeen yet ?

I knew a lot about Aberdeen before we moved as that is where my parents grew up and moved
                  from in the 50's

Coming into Aberdeen(from the south) is the river Dee and going out is the river Don so I am
                  guessing you are meaning the Don

As the ring road is going to be a single and not dual carriageway it will probably be chocker blocked within
                  days of opening by lorries etc.
                  I suppose it could relieve some of the towns traffic and that will be eased more when another bridge is built
                  over from the Bridge of Don to Tillydrone.
                  They are building homes along near the river there now !
                  At the moment it can take over an hour to get through from one side of the city to the other.

So living outwith Aberdeen is a good idea.

Dyce has a railway station as does Inverurie, the latter has good shops and I personally like there.
                  Dyce also has the airport !

You think the job will be based near the harbour so wouldn't south of Aberdeen be a place
                  to look at also ?
                  They are building houses in the smaller villages on the way to Stonehaven, where there is a
                  railway station.
                  The buses around Aberdeen are pretty good or at least they were when my hubby worked for them hehe
                  There are bus lanes in the city which does ease a little congestion and I do mean a little !!

Comment

Housing

Just a query so that I can look to places that might be suitable for what you are wanting

Are you wanting to buy or rent ?

If buying what would be the upper limit you would want to go up to(if you don't want to put in
                    here you can send me a private message)

The same with renting and the upper limit for that !

After looking at some prices of housing I have decided to wait until you get back to me.

Also how far out of Aberdeen would you be willing to live so that the commute doesn't take your life over !

Comment

Working...
                    X