Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought About A Move To Scotland..Both Threads !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought About A Move To Scotland..Both Threads !!

I am really thinking about moving to scotland this summer i plan to visit there to see it first i mean i have also done alot of researching the land and things like that but i am curious if anyone can recommend a few places to visit that might be nice places to live i mean it would obviously be better hearing from some people who live there already ya know.... Thank you

Thought About A Move To Scotland..Both Threads !!

I am deeply thinking about moving to scotland i am planning a trip this summer to see it in person first cause i just know what i have read and researched however i was wondering if any1 can recommend some cool placed that i can check out that would be meybe nice places to live i mean it would obviously be better if i got info from some1 who is there because you cant always believe what you read and see on tv or the net. Thank You

Comment

Have you got Scottish parents?

Are you qualified in a job whose skills are needed here?

Two questions to consider before thinking about it. If the answer to both is no, then you haven't a snowball's chance in hell of being granted residence.
      GIRFUY!

Comment

How can you seriously consider moving somewhere that you have no idea about? Did any of your "research" involve looking at more than a few photos and thinking "that looks like a nice place to live"? Somehow I doubt it - otherwise you wouldn't be asking the questions! Us - or at least the few of us on this forum that live here - telling you what its like to live in Scotland won't even come close to answering your question! However, as you'll see to the other reply to your similar post, the person you need to be asking questions is yourself - so I suggest YOU do a LOT more research!

Comment

Hello There.

Mr Grouchy is right! Lots of people decide they want to move to Scotland. However, there are a lot of restrictions about who has the right to live and work here. I assume you would need to work, unless you are a millionaire... work permits are difficult to come by!

I don't know where you come from - but suspect it might be from the USA.
          Getting a visa to live/work here can be very difficult - unless you have valid skills that we need, eg medical, teaching and other professions.

Of course, if you have Scots parentage or someone no further than a grandparent who was Scots, then you might have the right to a visa. Also, if you are a citizen of any of the EU countries, then you can live here with no restrictions.

It's also feasible to come as a student - undergraduate might be difficult as the fees are quite steep, you would have to prove you could pay them, pay for your living expenses and only have permission to work about 20 hours per week (not enough to keep body and soul alive, I suspect!)

I suggest you have a look at some of the threads in the Moving forum - just scroll down the list of fora - it's near the bottom. Lots and lots of people have asked exactly the same thing as you, and you may get lots of information there.

If you have any specific questions such as 'I'd like to live in ........ (fill in the town, village area) and would like to hear from anyone who knows about flat rentals, jobs etc in the area'... I'm sure that you will get a positive reply from some of the friendly Scots on here!

Comment

I replied to your thread on the same topic in the welcome forum. As you will see, Nonny echoes exactly the points I made, but much more succinctly!

Comment

Without knowing a bit more about you it's quite hard to give you meaningful advice.

Are you a citizen of an EU country? This has a big bearing on whether you can be resident here or how easily you could get residency. Ditto for whether you are of a working age or whether you're a 'coffin dodger', like a lot of people who move to Scotland.

If you are expecting to need to work then what line are you in? For some professions there are some quite substantial hoops to jump through before you can practise in Scotland (and/or the UK in general), so some information on this would be useful.

Do you have property to sell? Compared with the rest of the UK Scotland can still be quite a cheap place to buy a house but much depends upon where you want to settle and what size of property you require.

Finally, what are you expecting to get out of a move to Scotland for yourself?

I'll happily throw in my two penn'orth of advice, for what it's worth, but the above would really help to make it more meaningful. If you don't want to post any of that in open forum then feel free to send it as a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
                Mr Grouchy is right!
                Yea maybe I am, but having read a few of the "I saw a photo of Scotland once and decided I want to live there" posts on here its clear that so many people just post without thinking - in all honesty why would someone want to live in a country they don't have a clue about? Usually they have some romantic notion that they'll get a wee place in the Highlands and be able to enjoy the scenery while they pose in their new kilt! The reality would be they'd end up in a bedsit in a rundown area of some town or city and spend all their time working to try and make ends meet - after a few weeks of that they'd be wanting to move back to where they came from!

Comment

Originally posted by BornAgainScot View Post
                  Yea maybe I am, but having read a few of the "I saw a photo of Scotland once and decided I want to live there" posts on here its clear that so many people just post without thinking - in all honesty why would someone want to live in a country they don't have a clue about? Usually they have some romantic notion that they'll get a wee place in the Highlands and be able to enjoy the scenery while they pose in their new kilt! The reality would be they'd end up in a bedsit in a rundown area of some town or city and spend all their time working to try and make ends meet - after a few weeks of that they'd be wanting to move back to where they came from!
                  A friend on another site suggests that we suggest some of our more 'picturesque' areas... So in that spirit.... here's a few 'Edinburgh suggestions'!

Wester Hailes
                  Pilton
                  What's left of Craigmillar

Comment

how do you find out what trades are needed i am extremely skilled in the automotive field i have my own business here in Pennsylvania and no my parents are from slovakia

Comment

hey listen there is no need to be a dick about it pal and i did a hell of alot more research than you think no tjust looking at pictures i just thought some ppl who live there would be able to tell me some things that you can find in a book or anything like that so how about if your going to be rude just dont reply its not my fault you are an unhappy miserable person seriously im really not into listening to ppl like that take things out on ppl they do not even know maybe you could have asked before you went off like that.

Comment

I am 23 years old im in great shape we have a family business here in pennsylvania(USA) my parents are from slovakia however but i have a great deal of knowledge we sell automotive parts we also have a garage and towing services i dont know if that is a trade they are looking for but i have been doing it for about 11 years now.

Comment

cside2b

Don't get that offended by the natives.. lol.. the members here are just telling you the truth.. with a few exceptions.. however, they do know what they are talking about. It is just that one silly member after the other, have come on here and said silly things as.. I want to live in Scotland.. just because they seen Braveheart.. or read way to many Scottish Romance Novels. I even get annoyed at the wee young ones that say all that stuff, however just listen to the advice you get here.. as it will help you.

I am an American from New York and for the past year I have been living in Scotland.. It has not been an easy move for me.. however in saying that.. it has not been that difficult either.

The only reason why I came to Scotland 4 years ago, was to meet my Now husband, in person. I met him on this website a few years ago, and after years of traveling back and forth, I decided to move here to be with him. There was some red-tape..but in my case not much.. as I became the wife of a Scottish citizen. I will say that the red tape to fly my wee cat over was a lot more then it was for me.. LOL...

The work trade that everyone is talking about is most likely going to fall in the medical field and teaching field, and not the automotive field. Sorry hon.. but nevertheless, you can, as a US citizen visit Scotland for 6 months on your US passport.. provided that you can show the immigration officer a bank account in your name of excess funds available to you so that you can live here and pay for housing, etc while you are here, and not take any of the countries resources. You will not be allowed medical, work, or any type of funds while here on your passport as a visitor.

I had to do that when I first came over... as the only other option was if someone provided the authorities proof that they would sponsor me to come. My husband would have done so last year when I first came, but I didn’t want to do it that way.. so I saved over 20K USD to live on while I was here at first as you cannot work. Trust me, 20,000 usd is not a lot when it is turned into British Pounds. That only comes to 10K pounds.. and it goes within 6 months when there is no other money coming in. Rent could be cheap.. if you want to live that way.. Housing could be cheap too.. however I do not think at all that the cost of living is far less here.. as the wages are far less then what I was used to. I do think that it is not easy for some to get on here.. but then again, that is the same no matter where you go .. eh?

Back in July 2006 I was given a right to abode visa, allowing me clearance to live in Scotland for 2 years, provided that my husband and I stay married. If we divorce (god help me.. as I love him to pieces... lol) anyway, if we divorce, then I have to leave the country. After the two years is up, I need to go back to the Home office here, and file for a permanent right to live visa. I have been granted permission to secure work here back in July 2006 as well, but again, after showing the customs officers that I am now married and Mean to stay that way, then it was granted to me.

There is so much.. that I can't type it now.. however, if you have any particular questions, I would be more then happy to answer them for you..

Again.. nothing is impossible, however, keep in mind that Scotland, after all is said and done.. is like living anywhere else in the world .. Honestly..

Once you begin working and paying bills.. and the daily in and outs of your day begin.. it doesn't matter anymore.. you know what I mean..

Besides.. I can honestly say that I never thought I would miss New York as much as I have.. it is not easy.. My home is here now with my husband, and I wouldn’t change a thing, but the change is hard.. trust me..

Pabby
                          Last edited by WeeButtons; 21st February 2007, 14:48.

Comment

Sorry, I'm afraid it's not a skill we are in dire need of at the moment.

And by the way, I truly hope that one-sentence post calling someone a dickhead wasn't aimed at me? I TRIED to give you information.... I TRIED to be polite.... I TRIED to assist you.

Oh, and I can't be a DH... I'm female.

Comment

Unless you have at least a first level degree in Automotive Engineering, I don't think you would even be considered. You need to go onto the Home Office site, click on Immigration and they should have a section called something like 'Required Skills' or similar... It changes from month to month, depending on the skills we require. So far as I know, the last time I looked, we were only looking for Structural Engineers (eg bridges, roads etc). But have a look, it may have changed.

And, despite your rudeness in another thread, I've looked up the URL for you! Immigration and Nationality Directorate | Immigration and Nationality Home

Comment

Working...
                              X