Whiskey Train to Roll from Elgin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskey Train to Roll from Elgin.

A TRIAL has been launched to deliver whisky by train from Elgin to central Scotland.

Whisky ready to flow out of Moray on the train.Trains transporting whisky and potentially other goods will run twice a week, from Elgin to Grangemouth, starting next week.

It is the first time there has been any substantial volume of goods, including Scotch whisky, transported by train from Elgin since the mid-1980s.

The trial will run until around mid-November and an independent academic partner is being appointed to analyse the results of the trial and investigate its feasibility in the longer-term.

Several Scotch whisky producers are working together on the trial, including Diageo, Chivas Brothers, John Dewar & Sons, Whyte & Mackay and Glen Turner.

The ‘Lifting the Spirit’ trial is being driven and part-funded by HITRANS (the Highlands and Islands Transport Partnership), Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) and Moray Council. The European Union’s North Sea Region Programme is also funding the trial, as part of the Food Port project, which involves a number of private and public sector organisations working together.

John Semple, HITRANS chair, said: "I’m delighted to have secured funding to trial a mode shift to rail of this valuable commodity. We hope to demonstrate the capability of the rail network, a reduction in carbon emissions and the value of working collaboratively."

Whiskly train to roll from Elgin | Northern Scot | News

Okay, where do I sign up for the trip? I'm all for reducing carbon emissions, but especially for "lifting the spirit".
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    MLK Jr.

Is the train running on barley juice instead of diesel ?

Comment

Originally posted by maxkirk View Post
      Is the train running on barley juice instead of diesel ?
      Could be, you never know. More likely biodiesel I would say. It produces less air pollutants, less CO2 emissions than petroleum based diesel. I just want to help with the "lifting the spirit" as in from the barrel to my mouth...
      Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      MLK Jr.

Comment

Grain alcohol is biofuel
        And some of it is as bad for the planet as the fossil fuels , what with mowing down forests to plant plantations / crops , and the extraction and conversion to fuel.

Comment

Grain alcohol is biofuel
          And some of it is as bad for the planet as the fossil fuels , what with mowing down forests to plant plantations / crops , and the extraction and conversion to fuel.
          Yes, I know grain alcohol is a type of biofuel.

As far as mowing down forests to plant crops etc I know in this country and Australia that has been using Ethanol additive for considerably longer than the USA, there have been no land clearances. I am not completely up on what is happening in other countries and I should be considering I work for an oil company here in North Dakota.

We grow some corn here, wheat, barley, soy, and an abundance of sunflowers which seem to do pretty well in the harsh climes of the Northern Plains. Sunflower oil for example has an energy content 85% that of diesel fuel. There are hundreds of acres of land already cleared and have been for a couple of hundred years that have been worked for several generations.

Two common methods for extraction and conversion is either the screw process or solvent extraction. Solvent extraction requires a chemical process in which ethanol or methanol is added to the vegetable oil then caustic soda. As to the waste product which is glycerol, it can be used in the making of many other products and is not harmful to the environment. It's non-toxic.

Anyhoo, a bit long winded. I get carried away at times.
          MLK Jr.

Comment

And the carbon emissions , what of they ?

Comment

[QUOTE=maxkirk;428883]And the carbon emissions , what of they ?[/QUOTE

Carbon emissions are still going to exist, but greatly reduced, and while it's not the ideal answer its a start. The only way to eradicate carbon emissions is to not use oil and it's bio products, period. I can't see that happening anytime soon unfortunately.

And, it's worthwhile to note that each and everyone one of us is responsible for contributing to those said carbon emissions every time we hope in our cars, on a train or bus, fly, and take our boats and jet ski's out on the water. We are responsible when we use aerosols, chemical based detergents, soaps, cleaners etc etc. All of us have played a part in some way for the mess this planet is in, and now we are paying the price. Our children and grandchildren will pay the price.

Thing is, a lot of people just don't care enough about the environment, others are too apathetic, others are too lazy to make any sort of changes that would help. Even recycling here seems to be too much hard work in some places. And, trying to bring awareness to people seems to fall of deaf ears a lot of the time. Then you get labeled as a tree hugger or a greenie, as if they are dirty words
              MLK Jr.

Comment

And the carbon footprint of the stepped up diesel train service that you are in support of ?

Not to mention that of the train's cargo.

Comment

And the carbon footprint of the stepped up diesel train service that you are in support of ?

Not to mention that of the train's cargo.
                  Wow...Tell me, where on earth do you get the idea that I'm in support of of the so called diesel train service? Did you not read my last post? As to being in support of it's cargo, I barely drink. My initially post which started this all off was intended as a bit of light-hearted humour. Not sure how it got to this, but there ya go.
                  MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Valmai View Post
                    Wow...Tell me, where on earth do you get the idea that I'm in support of of the so called diesel train service?
                    Your post conveys your support

Originally posted by Valmai View Post
                    [I]Okay, where do I sign up for the trip? I'm all for reducing carbon emissions, but especially for "lifting the spirit".

Comment

Your post conveys your support
                      And, as I said, my original post was merely meant for a bit of "light-hearted humour." The rest of my post speaks for itself. At least I thought so anyway. You have chosen to see it as my supposed support, so be it. You are wrong though, and I don't feel the need to defend myself any further.
                      MLK Jr.

Comment

The train will certainly be steamed !

Comment

Old King Coal will be chuffed

Comment

the younger generation might get into whisky if the keep putting E in it

Comment

Working...
                            X