X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kevinlwriter
    started a topic Defending being an American

Defending being an American

I've only been out of the country once and it was a long time ago, but I feel like a lot of people hold me responsible for something my government did that I have no control over. They automatically assume that, because I'm American, I don't know anything about international politics. My talks with people from Europe tend to be like "You kill and torture innocent people blah blah blah"
    I've never killed anyone in my life lol I don't think I should be held responsible for my government. If I was to be held responsible for that stuff, then the same should go for all countries.

I'm not an expert, but I do actually know quite a bit about the terrible things my government does in our name. I just hope that when I travel to Scotland, people aren't going to take issue with me because I'm American.

• mikeyBoab
    replied
    Yep. Totally would.

Leave a comment:

• ANDY-J3
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeyBoab

Well, yeah . . . there was a referendum in September - it was pretty big in the news

You're right they did but like I said do you have evidence to support your rhetoric? "And try to rip the UK apart and destroy the livelihoods of all British people" - that's quite a claim to make and it would be interesting to know how Scottish independence would have that effect.

Leave a comment:

• mikeyBoab
    replied
    Originally posted by ANDY-J3 View Post

Yes, they did indeed call a referendum

And you have evidence to support that rhetoric?
    Well, yeah . . . there was a referendum in September - it was pretty big in the news
    Last edited by mikeyBoab; 19th November 2014, 12:36.

Leave a comment:

• ANDY-J3
    replied

HAHAHA Oh good one . . .

Yes, they did indeed call a referendum, and try to rip the UK apart and destroy the livelihoods of all British people

And you have evidence to support that rhetoric? I would be intrigued to know how the entire British economy would be so radically undermined by granting Scots independence. That's precisely the kind of outlandish claims that led to the no campaign gaining a reputation for scare mongering and negativity which in turn is the very reason why Scottish Labour has had its credibility destroyed.

It is unfortunate that the Scottish government, led at the time by a gang of ruthless SNP thugs, did not care to extend the vote to members of the Scottish diaspora, thereby denying several hundred thousand of us a say in the future of our nation.

The "ruthless SNP thugs" are now the third biggest political party in the UK with more members than the Lib - Dems or UKIP so evidently their reputation hasn't been too badly tarnished by the referendum result. If you want a say in Scotland's future then you should choose to live here - I don't see why people who might have questionable loyalty to Scotland should have any say in our country's future.

Leave a comment:

• tig
    replied
    haha oh my mikey what tosh

you gave up the right to have a say here when you started paying your taxes some where else.

these snp thugs you speak of are in fact the overwhelmingly democratically elected government of the country you happily left.

where is this truth and justice your on about

(anyhoo take it to the indy thread eh as weve veered off topic)

Leave a comment:

• mikeyBoab
    replied
    HAHAHA Oh good one . . .

Yes, they did indeed call a referendum, and try to rip the UK apart and destroy the livelihoods of all British people but the Scottish people saw through the lies and deceit, ultimately voting for justice and truth.

It is unfortunate that the Scottish government, led at the time by a gang of ruthless SNP thugs, did not care to extend the vote to members of the Scottish diaspora, thereby denying several hundred thousand of us a say in the future of our nation.

Leave a comment:

• tig
    replied
    Originally posted by kevinlwriter View Post
    I will be the first to admit that a lot of my fellow americans are morons. When I was in California, I stayed at an international hostel where there were a lot of Germans vacationing.

Anyways, they had an american comedian come in and, for some dumb reason, he decided to make a stupid joke about nazis. Obviously, the germans were angry and I don't blame them. I actually confronted him about it later and almost got into a fist fight.

Btw, is the SNP like the BNP?
    there lies the problem with a lot of people.....you cant distance yourself from the actions of your government then take offence when some one rips into them.

as mikey said the bnp are a far right neo nazi racist organisation and the snp are the left leaning scottish government who recently held a referendum on scottish independence but most of the electorate fell for the scare tactics threats lies and bribes from the right wing westminster government that mikey supports so much...though in his defence he doesnt live in scotland so

Leave a comment:

• ANDY-J3
    replied
    You're very unlikely to encounter any hostility from Scots because you're American. It might have been different a decade ago when a lot of people blamed George Bush for dragging the UK into what turned out to be a disastrous war in Iraq but Obama has improved the reputation of the US in recent years so anti-Americanism has diminished.

Leave a comment:

• mikeyBoab
    replied
    Nah, the BNP (which has lost much of its support since the emergence of UKIP as a major player in the UK political scene) is very right wing, anti-immigration. It is largely associated with neo-nazism, skinheads etc etc, although it has tried hard to portray itself as a mainstream political organisation.

The SNP's primary aim is Scottish independence. In other political aspects it is hard to say where they sit. Their [policies seem to indicate that they are trying to gain support from all elements of Scottish society at the moment, but they certainly aren't in any sort of category with the BNP; it's really very unfortunate that the name is similar.

Leave a comment:

• kevinlwriter
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeyBoab View Post
    As you say - the same could be said of anyone. Are we to be held accountable for the atrocities committed by the UK government?

Or the attempted treason of the SNP?
    I will be the first to admit that a lot of my fellow americans are morons. When I was in California, I stayed at an international hostel where there were a lot of Germans vacationing.

Anyways, they had an american comedian come in and, for some dumb reason, he decided to make a stupid joke about nazis. Obviously, the germans were angry and I don't blame them. I actually confronted him about it later and almost got into a fist fight.

Btw, is the SNP like the BNP?

Leave a comment:

• mikeyBoab
    replied
    As you say - the same could be said of anyone. Are we to be held accountable for the atrocities committed by the UK government?

Or the attempted treason of the SNP?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X