Study Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study Abroad

Hi! I have been looking at studying abroad next year but I haven't been able to decide on a school. I will working towards my Masters in Sociology. There are numerous schools in my state that allow studying abroad to Scotland. What I'm wondering is, has anyone else studied abroad or is there a certain University that is better than others? Also I won't have a means of transportation so I would be relying on public transportation.

Many of our universities are in the cities. So transportation shouldn't be a problem. Our bus services are not too bad - depending on where you live.

Why not go online and look at the Sociology MSc courses offered? Surely your US uni would have links with specific universities here?

Comment

They have the links to Universities over there and what not. But I don't feel confident just choosing a school over what the schools say about themselves. The two main ones are in Stirling and Glasgow which I've been able to find quite a bit of information on. But for example looking at my home University and my current city we have a bus system but you couldn't pay me to ride on it. It is unreliable and horribly taken care of. Also I would hate to make this decision, come all the way over there to not enjoy it. I've looked at numerous options of studying abroad and I feel Scotland would be an amazing decision.

Comment

I can't talk for the bus services in Stirling or Glasgow, but in Edinburgh the buses are frequent, clean and well-used by the locals.

Have a look in the 'moving' forum for posts by a member called mlejoy, she is an American (doesn't post here anymore as far as I know) - who came to Edinburgh to do her Masters in Tourism (or similar, can't remember exactly, it was some years ago). She went through exactly the same process as you - ie asking for advice re choice of Scottish uni, courses etc. There were lots of threads started by her - you might find them of some help with your decision-making.

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
          I can't talk for the bus services in Stirling or Glasgow, but in Edinburgh the buses are frequent, clean and well-used by the locals.
          Don't you mean full of drunks and diverted all over the town by tramworks?!

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
          "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Aye, OK
            But gonnae no' frighten affa source of income here, SR?

Comment

Working...
            X