Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22 year old North Carolina Woman looking for Scottish Penpal :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glennwc
    replied
    I think I've caught the gist here thanks guys

Leave a comment:

• Polwarth
    replied
    Ooh... Dinnae let the ayatollahs hear you

Leave a comment:

• tig
    replied
    Dumbarton is in Dumbartonshire
    Ayr in in Ayrshire
    Banff in in Banffshire
    Iran is in Persia

Leave a comment:

• Polwarth
    replied
    Stirling is in Stirlingshire, Perth is in Perthshire.

Leave a comment:

• glennwc
    replied
    We don't have very many if any towns here that end with "shire" so I didn't know if that was the same town or not.

Leave a comment:

• glennwc
    replied
    I have looked at maps before but I also realize that town names change over centuries and I wasn't sure! Excuse me for not trying to act like I do know when I don't for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Polwarth
    replied
    Do, please, look at a map of Scotland. If you don't even know where Stirling(one of our most important historical cities) IS....

Leave a comment:

• glennwc
    replied
    Polwarth, I do know my family is part of the MacKintosh clan and I'm fairly certain they were in the highlands.. I've done some family research and found some that were closer to me in generation (though still very far back) that were from Stirlingshire so I'm not quite sure where that is or where to begin if I were trying to find distant relatives.

SourceCoderer feel free to send me your email!

Leave a comment:

• SourceCoderer
    replied
    I'm a 26 year old guy from Scotland if you want to message or email me.

Leave a comment:

• Polwarth
    replied
    Our whole country is full of historical locations. The highlands, the Islandsm the Borders, the central belt..... ALL OF IT.

If you know the names of your Scots ancestry, this might give a clue to the approximate area from whence they came.

Leave a comment:

• glennwc
    replied
    Well thank you all for the ideas! I hope to be able to explore Scotland and all its beautiful cities eventually! Where are the more historical locations? I enjoy history and the history of Scotland is so much older than that of America and I'm interested in taking in as much history as possible when I get the chance to get over there. I have a feeling that everyone will be talking funny to me since there aren't too many people in NC that have a true scottish accent!

Leave a comment:

• och aye the noo
    replied
    Start of in the Kingdom of Fife, St Andrews

Leave a comment:

• mikeyBoab
    replied
    But they talk funny.

Start off in Glasgow!

Leave a comment:

• Polwarth
    replied
    Well, call me biased, but my home city of Edinburgh would be a great jumping off point. We've got castles, a palace, cathedrals and medieval buildings, we've got the Georgian New Town, we've got great shops, foodie heaven as well.

Leave a comment:

• glennwc
    replied
    Yes, I've known that for some time now. Luckily my job will be with health professionals in a laboratory setting and the biomedical field is always expanding. I've lucked into a job that has branches in the UK and my fiance has the opportunity for jobs in the UK as well. Either way I will make my way there one day! The history is probably mostly what pulls me towards Scotland; that being my family history and just Scotland's history itself. Where would you suggest going first to travel when I finally do make it across, Polwarth?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X