need some help with scottish laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help with scottish laws

im English and was in a chat room yesterday and someone called a person a jock, now this caused some fun, and apparantly i was told its classed as racist and there is a law about it can anyone help me on this please

Originally posted by matron45 View Post
    im English and was in a chat room yesterday and someone called a person a jock, now this caused some fun, and apparantly i was told its classed as racist and there is a law about it can anyone help me on this please
    Is this a serious question ?

What did you actually say ?

(PS If you really are English, it would help if you could actually write in the language.)

Comment

I would imagine it depends on what nationality of a chat room you are in. . . in the States if someone is called a Jock, it's kind of a complement, I guess. Meaning they are an athlete. (I have no idea why that would be considered a complement as it stems from the jockstrap, worn by male athletes and athletes were called such back in the 1950's to demean or belittle.) Call me 'most anything except that! But it's not illegal, at least not here!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by matron45 View Post
        im English and was in a chat room yesterday and someone called a person a jock, now this caused some fun, and apparantly i was told its classed as racistand there is a law about it can anyone help me on this please
        "and apparantly i was told its classed as racist "

Apparently ? Well what was it ? were you told that or not .

Comment

I suspect a Troll.

At one time, many Scots in Scottish regiments were called 'Jock' by other English squaddies. Some Scots took it as light-hearted banter - others were mortally offended; but perhaps no worse than a Welshman being called Taffy or an Irishman called Paddy.

Comment

I don't think many Scots would regard the term Jock as offensive. A few years ago a Scot was fined for being racist after addressing a Welshman as boyo but he was using it along with expletives etc. in a way that was intimidating and likewise the word Jock would only be termed racist if it was used in a similar way.
            "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
            X