Future Monarchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maxkirk View Post
    Well, I said I had eaten Haggis in another post, but I never said I liked it.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    MLK Jr.

Comment

I like spiced mutton mince pudding , and I reckon its' the oats that make the dish

Comment

I like spiced mutton mince pudding , and I reckon its' the oats that make the dish
        I like mutton myself, and haven't had it since I left New Zealand. Never had it with oats though. My mum used to have roast mutton every other Sunday and I collected the knuckle bones. We didn't have a lot of money for me to get a proper set. Then with the left overs she'd mince up the meat, add onion, spices and a little gravy and make Shepherd's pie. It tasted so good!

But, she also made traditional Haggis, you know with the heart, liver and lungs stuffed inside the animals stomach. Modern Haggis here at least is put in a sausage casing as in the pic I posted. I just can't do offal I'm afraid, and my mother made a lot of dishes with liver, kidneys, tripe, brains, tongue, and oxtail...
        Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Valmai View Post
          I like mutton myself, and haven't had it since I left New Zealand. Never had it with oats though. My mum used to have roast mutton every other Sunday and I collected the knuckle bones. We didn't have a lot of money for me to get a proper set. Then with the left overs she'd mince up the meat, add onion, spices and a little gravy and make Shepherd's pie. It tasted so good!

But, she also made traditional Haggis, you know with the heart, liver and lungs stuffed inside the animals stomach. Modern Haggis here at least is put in a sausage casing as in the pic I posted. I just can't do offal I'm afraid, and my mother made a lot of dishes with liver, kidneys, tripe, brains, tongue, and oxtail...
          There is no such thing as 'traditional haggis'.

There is Haggis (pudding / sausage) , and the thing that makes haggis haggis , is the oatmeal filler .
          All other ingredients are at the discretion of the cook ,
          salt , spices , herbs , fish , offal , poultry meat , shellfish , mammal flesh vegetables , alcohol , etc .
          As to the stomach ,
          all that is , is the bag the dish is cooked in , no different from the intestines used for other sausages.
          A steam pudding bowl , a microwave container , a floured cloth , a pot on the stove , a slowcooker , a roasting bag or a hangi pit all work just as well .

I have used all of the above

Comment

There is no such thing as 'traditional haggis'.

There is Haggis (pudding / sausage) , and the thing that makes haggis haggis , is the oatmeal filler .
            All other ingredients are at the discretion of the cook ,
            salt , spices , herbs , fish , offal , poultry meat , shellfish , mammal flesh vegetables , alcohol , etc .
            As to the stomach ,
            all that is , is the bag the dish is cooked in , no different from the intestines used for other sausages.
            A steam pudding bowl , a microwave container , a floured cloth , a pot on the stove , a slowcooker , a roasting bag or a hangi pit all work just as well .

I have used all of the above
            I say traditional because that's how it was handed down through my family.
            MLK Jr.

Comment

Ah , so what you actually meant to say was , 'my families recipe' . eh

Comment

Ah , so what you actually meant to say was , 'my families recipe' . eh

What I actually should have said seeing as a lot of what I am saying is being taken out of context, misconstrued, accidental or otherwise, is it was a traditional recipe that my Scottish grandfather made. It was traditional to him, and possibly his parents. Might well have been a tradition in the area he came from in Moray. I don't know because I never had the chance to meet the man to ask him.
                MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                X