So homesick for my Highlands!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So homesick for my Highlands!

It has been many years since I returned to the country of my birth, but for the tragedy of a family member. I am in my fifties (widowed), and 'Still Going Strong', as the whisky says:-))...
    I am a writer of Historic Fiction set in the Highlands of Scotland (of course!)...but am finally planning a trip back to Scotland this May...(I live in Denver, Colorado). My primary focus will be in Strathdon, Aberdeenshire where I lived for many years, and raised my son and daughter, David and Yvonne.....so, if there are some fellow Scots out there who would be interested in communicating, I would be delighted....also my latest novel is about The Highland Clearances ...circa 1780's, and how those dastardly English Landlords shipped us off to the Colonies as slaves, and destroyed our whole Clan System after the '45.......etc., etc. I am very passionate about my heritage - as if you couldn't tell! Seriously, I would so love to hear from anyone who has done research of this particular era. At no other time in history have the people of the Highlands suffered so miserably at the hands of the English, when the crofters were burned out of their homes and driven off their land to make way for sheep runs and deer forests..
    Thank you my fellow humans for taking the time to hear my voice....Life has changed here in U.S.A. since Sept. 11th........and I do a lot of travel with the Company I represent..... but it is time for me to touch base with my Scottish Homeland and my spirit...
    Lady Braveheart.
    Lady Braveheart

welcome, Ishbel to visit with a lot of fine people. your post relates a number of interesting data. looking forward to reading more from you. seems a goodly number of us are in the U.S., with Scots heritage. you, however will be going back to your native land, happy for you. my wife and i hope to visit Scotland, also comeing May. perhaps we may get become acquainted. keep in touch. luv ta ya
    bojo& my sweet ol' Sheltie "GINGE"

Comment

STRIKE THE 'GET', sorry bout that
      bojo& my sweet ol' Sheltie "GINGE"

Comment

Thank you for your good wishes - and trust that you and your wife will have the trip of your life when you visit Scotland.........hopefully there will be another writer out there as passionate as I am about The Highland Clearances!
        Lady Braveheart

Comment

Welcome Ishbel. It is a beautiful part of the world you come from. I should know as I live about a half-hour drive from Strathdon! I have a lot of family (in-laws) and friends in Canada and whenever they come for a visit I always take them up to Lost so they can take pictures of the sign.

What do you think of Billy Connolly moving in to the area?

Comment

Welcome ishbel

When in May are you going to be in Strathdon ??

I will be in the area during the first week in May!!

Comment

tha a mhar
              willie

Comment

I'm ashamed to be English! However, I do have Scots ancestors and I am moving to the Highlands for good this year so maybe that makes up for it a bit... I'd be interested in reading your books, what are the titles?
                Claire

Comment

Working...
                X