Hoo roo skoordoo maroon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoo roo skoordoo maroon

Well, I think that's what the line is, I'm hoping someone might recognise it!
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this Forum and have joined because I need help identifying a song that's in my head.
    Many (40!) years ago, I learned a Gaelic song at primary school, probably for scots language week, and although I don't recall knowing what it was about, the words and the tune are still in my head. I'd like to know what it is, so I'm looking for help from any Gaelic speakers out there who might recognise that line or any of my no doubt awful phonetic attempts at the rest of it that I've noted down below.
    Bear in mind, these are the words in my head so and with the passage of time may be wrong here and there, but essentially it goes like this:

Hoo roo skoordoo maroon
    Hook me gill skanarach loom
    Mogh yesh nee na guckle dine
    Stoy loom haig mo vari boag

I think that's probably the chorus but it's all I remember. It's probably the right sort of tempo for a waulking song, with a beat roughly each second (on "hoo", "doo", "hook", "....na..." and so on, so only about 8 seconds worth above.

My sincere apologies for crucifying what is probably a beautiful wee piece! If any Gaelic speakers recognise it, or even what any of the words might be, that might help narrow down my search and I'd be very grateful.

Hello Lesley, pull up a seat and stay awhile !

Regards the poem, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like an old Klingon love song about a warrior making an array of fragrant incense bowls from the skulls of defeated enemies to prove his love for his sweetheart.

(Sorry - I only saw your post when I saw the word "maroon" and it immediately drew me here. Tig would know why !)

Comment

Ah, now we didn't do Klingon until secondary school.......

Comment

Hi there Leslie and welcome. Sorry I can't help with the lyrics, I can't even remember the words to the ice cream making song, (beyond Sara Bonda . . . )

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyR View Post
          Hoo roo skoordoo maroon
          Hook me gill skanarach loom
          Mogh yesh nee na guckle dine
          Stoy loom haig mo vari boag
          Isn't that Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit"??

Comment

get "shazam" on your phone and hum the tune into it

might work

Comment

It is in Gaelic perhaps? Spelling may be altered from English?
              Yer Maw!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X