Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from America

Hello Scotland,
    I've joined this forum site out of curiosity, and perhaps with hope of getting to know a Scottish man. How forward and American of me, eh? To be frank, I've grown a little tired of American men. There's plenty of great fellas here, but the idea of meeting a foreigner is more exciting to me right now. I'm not looking to get married tomorrow, or even soon, nothing like that. Just attempting to expand my net of interest. So, I'm saying: Hello!

Hello and welcome

Sorry to hear you've grown tired of American men. But just out of curiosity, how do you define an American man? America is filled with people from just about every country in the world who all incorporate their own culture into everyday life. Are men from Texas the same as men from Florida? Do they hold different values? Is there a difference north, south, east and west?

And you do know this is an American site with very few scots on board - right?

Comment

There's some Scottish folks on here though!

I've met American men from all over the country. Men from different parts of the country definitely display different attributes. I find West Coast men to be a bit more 'up for fun' and more open and willing to laugh. (these are generalities of course) Gents from the Midwest are a bit more reserved, sometimes, and perhaps a bit more humble. The men I've met from fast paced East Coast towns tend to be a bit more upright, and dare I say less modest. The stereotypes of Southern men prove true sometimes as well- they can be a bit more charming...the southern charm, as they say. Having said ALL of that, I've also met men from different regions who break all of these standards, and in some cases are the opposite of the assumed. Dating websites (in my experience) are loaded with self obsessed men. I must say I worry a bit about the men here. I sound pretty bleak don't I? Well...

Comment

Correction: There ARE some Scottish folks here. Grammar. Apologies.

Comment

Hi Mitts and welcome

Comment

Hi and thanks!

Comment

Hi there mitts and welcome!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Whereabouts in America are you?

Comment

Great reply Mitts.

I've been trying to formulate a similar generalisation of Scottish men but cannot find one.

In Scotland, people from Glasgow are known for their warm welcome and friendly approach. But then they are also known for their 'hard men'. Gordon Ramsay is a pseudo hard man by the way and wouldn't last 5 mins in a Provanmill pub.

People from the Aberdeenshire area are supposed to be really mean with money. I prefer the word 'canny'.

Edinburgh is supposed to have an upper class attitude.

People from Fife are supposed to be sly. There is a saying “It taks a lang spain tae sup wi’ a fly Fifer!” which translated means folk from the county of Fife are somewhat cunning and devious.

But these are all tags that have been given over several generations and I doubt any of them are true nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by mitts701 View Post
                    Hello Scotland,
                    I've joined this forum site out of curiosity, and perhaps with hope of getting to know a Scottish man. How forward and American of me, eh? To be frank, I've grown a little tired of American men. There's plenty of great fellas here, but the idea of meeting a foreigner is more exciting to me right now. I'm not looking to get married tomorrow, or even soon, nothing like that. Just attempting to expand my net of interest. So, I'm saying: Hello!
                    Welcome mitts, glad you checked in, us Scots are a wee bit thin on the ground but there are some here. My advice is keep posting and see what happens.
                    Yer Maw!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X