23 Days and Counting!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 Days and Counting!!!

I am traveling from California to Edinburgh in 23 days for my birthday and to see the land of my father's ancestors. It will be a fairly quick visit, only 5 nights. I have already fallen in love with the land and now am looking forward to falling in love with the people. I will also be researching my father's family through the various agencies.
    Any suggestions on things to not miss. I've booked a mini-tour to Loch Lomond and am searching for a place to have my birthday dinner (it is on the 21st) and haven't settled on any one place yet, but should more than likely get a reservation in sooner than later.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

hi and welcome....youl be trying to book somewhere during christmas time so youd better get it sorted quick or there will be no room at the inn

Comment

Got it

Yes, I have all my lodging squared away; did that months ago. I am seeking any advice or not-to-be-missed sights or places in Edinburgh. Thanks for replying.

Comment

I think tig is saying that with Christmas parties, it's the restaurants you need to book!

If you have a big budget, try googling The Witchery, The Kitchin, Andrew Fairley...

Comment

Maybe a really fun place with locals and music? A pub someplace? There's a lot of them to chooses from. Check with your hotel and the Tourist Info office.

Some not to miss sights depend upon what you are interested in, the Scottish National Gallery is a really great place, but I like art.

Oh! Welcome to our little site!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

ye i meant the restaurants will be mobbed with crimbo parties so you might struggle to get a table at some of the popular places

Comment

My apologies. Yes, I had booked a table at the Tower restaurant but cancelled after I decided to add another day to my stay. My budget is very limited, so I may decide to eat at a lesser-known place (local pub sounds very much what I would enjoy - I love meeting people and people-watching, so that should work out very well) and save my money for whisky and/or wool products to take a bit of Scotland back home.
              Thanks you, tig, kathyv & Polwarth for taking the time to respond!

Comment

Hi MB and welcome

Comment

Thanks mikeyBoab!
                  I'm so glad to have found this site and the forums. Have you been to Scotland before?

Comment

he visited once but the scots gov took out an injunction to make sure it doesnt happen again haha

Comment

Originally posted by MyBelle1221 View Post
                      Have you been to Scotland before?
                      I am Scottish! I left about six years ago to seek my fortune.

Despite the injunction I still sneak back a couple of times a year.

Comment

Working...
                      X