No announcement yet.

Welcome from South Carolina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gie it up, son. Ye urnae a Scot! Is thur nae Murcan fowk sangs ye cuid sing?

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
      Gie it up, son. Ye urnae a Scot! Is thur nae Murcan fowk sangs ye cuid sing?
      American ones aren't as good. We plan to do an Irish album after the Scottish. Then we may get around to some American ones.

Besides, Scottish history and culture is very germaine to our US culture. A large number of Scottish people settled here and are responsible for many of our great achievements. If you look through the M section of our phone books, there are many many MacSomebodys.
      . . . . . . But are you free?

Comment

Originally posted by Intergaelica View Post
        South Carolina, USA accent:

"Scahts, whuh hay wi Wolluss blayed, Scahts, whamm Broos hay offin ledd, well-cum tay yore gorey bayed, ore tay vick-ter-eey. Naow's thuh daeey and naow's thuh ow-ur, See thuh frunt uv ba-tul low-wer, cum behold prowd Ed-word's pow-wer, Chains and Slay-vureey."

Maine, USA accent:

Scotts, whuh hay wi' Wollus bled, Scotts whamm Broos hay offin ledd, wellc'm tay yah gah-ree bed, ah t'a victahree. Now's thuh day and now's thuh owa', see thuh frunt uv battle lou'a, cum behold prowd Edwa'd's powa'-- chaynes and slava'ree."
        Would say the top one could be a Yorkshire accent

Comment

I think Shell7 speaks good words of wisdom

Comment

Babz, after a while, I suppose there are only so many possible combinations for accents in the world-- especially as to how they can be spelled, so you may very well be right!

Having said that, I believe the accents of the various sections of the US and Canada have been greatly influenced by the places their inhabitants immigrated from. No doubt this is true of every place in the world. Where I grew up in New England, looking back, the older educated people, such as my grandparents, spoke in a manner reminiscent of ruling class England. The less educated people sounded, maybe, more like the London street urchins, or some such thing. Not quite the same, of course. In Maine there is a great French influence too, especially from Canadian French, which is probably at least as different from France French as Lowland Scots English is from any American regional accent.

My part of South Carolina was influenced heavily by Scottish immigrants (among others). Not that it sounds the same, by any means.
            . . . . . . But are you free?

Comment

A Scot's Pronunciation of the word "plaid"

Dear Scots: I have a question about the pronunciation of the word "plaid" as in "piper's plaid", "fly plaid". I'm referring to the large piece of material that is worn over the shoulder.

Is it "plaid", (rhymes with fade or made?) or "plaid", (rhymes with sad or mad?)

Thanks for your help. Best regards.

David in Colorado

Comment

Plad.

Comment

For some reason, the ai as in the long 'a' sound became distorted in this word. We still say it correctly in other words, (maid, paid, plain etc) but we've changed it for others, (plaid, said). No idea why.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

And in the immortal words of Ali G . . . "ai-eeeeee!"

Comment

Working...
                    X