Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Hi all,

My name is Theo and I am currently studying an MA in Linguistics in the Netherlands.

I am very interested in Germanic languages, and particularly the history of English and Scots. Indeed I am currently researching the Scots language as part of my thesis.

I have prepared a survey to find out about the language attitudes of the Scottish people towards Scots, and if any forum members here would like to participate then I can provide a link. Any responses would be extremely valuable!

Thanks and all the best,

Theo

hi and welkom

stick you link up n we'll have a go

Comment

Here's the link:

TPJones_ScotsAttitudesSurvey

The survey is anonymous and I'll only be using the data for the purposes of my research.

Many thanks for participating!

Comment

One of the questions is shown twice!

I completed your survey. I use Lallans, rather than Auld Scots... And, what about the Doric?

Comment

some of the questions could be doing with a comments box as a simple yes or no might no give the right impression.
          or maybe a "makes no difference" or "sometimes"

ie

21. Should pupils be encouraged to speak more Scots? *This question is required.
          Yes
          No
          No opinion
          yes they should but a problem these days is that some kids cant string a sentence together in english, doesnt help at job interviews etc when the people just see it as you speaking slang.

i only speak full sentences in english tho when i think im being polite

Comment

Thanks for your responses and feedback.

The reason why I have only yes/no/no opinion is because I want only a concrete answer for these questions.

If I were to do a more in-depth survey in the future then I would certainly consider your suggestions for more detailed answer possibilities

Comment

Hi Theo and welcome - thanks for this interesting thread!

Comment

When you say Scots, do you mean Ghaidhlig (Gaelic) or Scots dialect.

Ghaidhlig is a Latin based language I believe with English being a Germanic language, so I'm assuming you mean dialect?

Comment

Hi Theo and welcome!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Working...
                  X