No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greetings

    I'm glad to have found this web site and forum.
    I am wanting to come to Scotland for a visit. Not just a 10 day whirlwind, see-nothing-but-the-tourist-sites, scurry-here-and-there-visit, but a long enough stay to actually appreciate the culture and heritage of all of Scotland. ( Or at least as much as I can consume in a 6 month time period.)
    I'm only going to do it once, so I want to do it right.

    Flights, hotels, car rentals is easy to arrange. Longer term accomodations, not so much.
    A hotel for 6 months would not be possible. Not only for the cost, but, if I stay in Edinburgh, say, and I travel to the Highlands, I don't see that commute being practical. I would have to rent another hotel at my destination, as well as pay for one back in Edinburgh that I'm not using for a few days.

    Bottom line, I would like some options. What can I find that would allow me to stay (affordably) for 3 to 4 weeks, then move on to my next destination?

  • #2

    The first thing would be to obtain a visitor visa which may allow you to stay for up to six months in the UK. I think you need to prove sufficient funds to keep yourself for longer periods than a couple of weeks.

    If you are a citizen of another EU country or certain commonwealth countries, the rules would be different to those covering countries outwith those groups.

    i imagine short term holiday rentals might fit the bill. Try the VisitScotland website to get an idea of what's available and when. Some areas are Closed for the winter months to allow for maintenance etc.

    If you have more specific queries, I'm sure members will be happy to help.


    • #3
      Thanks for the reply/info. I'm from the US, so I will have to have a visa/passport. I'll check into the B & Bs.


      • #4
        Originally posted by str1249 View Post
        Thanks for the reply/info. I'm from the US, so I will have to have a visa/passport. I'll check into the B & Bs.

        I didn't suggest BandBs..... But holiday flats, quite a different thing!

        Try the UKBA site for rules/conditions for six month visas.


        • #5
          OK, misunderstood. Holiday flats. Thanks again.