Stranger in a strange land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stranger in a strange land

Born in Belgium and living in France (? where people eat frogs ?), Scotland has always been attractive to me.
    That's why I intended to study for 1 complementary year in Dundee, therefore passed the TOEFL and was admitted there, but unfortunately did not get the financial aid.
    15 years later, I decided to visit a part of Scotland this summer : Ballater to attend the highland games, Aberdeen to visit the city and all the surrounding castles and finally Inverness.
    So really interested to join this forum, to learn more about you, about your country and to try to feel the way you are living.

Welcome! I hope you really enjoy your visit. I will warn you , though, that we are having a very rainy summer in Scotland. I hope you have a great time anyway, but be aware of dressing for rain.

Comment

Hi there, frogs aren't too bad, they are eaten here as well. Welcome to our site!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by Celyn View Post
        Welcome! I hope you really enjoy your visit. I will warn you , though, that we are having a very rainy summer in Scotland. I hope you have a great time anyway, but be aware of dressing for rain.
        thanks, the summer here is quite the same : rain, rain and rain again.

but the weather should be better next week according to forecast.

wait and see !

Comment

Originally posted by kathyv View Post
          Hi there, frogs aren't too bad, they are eaten here as well. Welcome to our site!
          thanks, so frog eaters are spread around Europe !

(but it isn't bad, I agree).

Comment

Around Europe and into the New World! LOL

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Rain. I wish we'd have some rain here. We've only had a trace in the past month. Pair that with 95°-100°+ heat and everything's withering and dying. It's sad.

I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to food, so I've had frog. We had it in a restaurant in Mexico 20 years ago or so. It wasn't bad, but I just couldn't get over the image of Kermit legs on my plate. All I could see was Kermie rolling around in a wheelchair sans legs. I just couldn't do it. Give me haggis any day.

Yes, haggis. I love it! When we were in the Highlands a couple of years ago, one of the things I was determined to try was haggis. After a recommendation from the manager of Kilravock Castle, we went to Cawdor Tavern. He said they did haggis well. And they did! All the food was outstanding. The only complaint I had was there was too much food.

Enjoy the rain, and if you can, blow it our way. We desperately need it. Unfortunately the forecasters aren't hopeful in the next week to ten days.

Comment

I am just coming back from Scotland, and I wonder if it would be easy to live there as a stranger, I mean do the scottish people appreciate strangers to come and live in their country ? would it be easy to find a job, being a stranger ?

Comment

Plus sides:

Scenery, hospitality (some Scots still are), history, culture (if you look for it)

Minus sides:

Weather (damp rather than cold - we don't get huge amounts of snow compared to many countries this far north), drink (there's a big unpleasant booze culture here, which is thuggish and aggressive), infrastructure (public transport is poor compared to the Continent)

do the scottish people appreciate strangers to come and live in their country ? would it be easy to find a job, being a stranger ?
                  I don't think Scots have much choice. People come anyway, and certain businesses recruit outside Scotland anyway. This is due to the UK and EU.

Needless to say, like any other country, foreigners tend to be less appreciated during an economic downturn, and more appreciated when the economy's better.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
                  "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

OK, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X