Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there! :) Can I ask your help?

Hi there!
    I’m Serena, I’m Italian and I’ve been live in Scotland for about 2 months. I’m learning English in a college (in Dundee) and I consider this forum another nice way to learn
    In reality I also need your help for my college project, I’m doing a survey but I don’t understand what is the best forum section where to post this. I apologise if this is not the right section and feel free to move it if se necessary.

Survey:

Nationality:

1) What is the first word that comes to your mind when I say “Scottish tradition”?
    2) What is the first word that comes to your mind when I say “Scottish traditional music”?
    3) Do you play any musical instrument?
    4) What?
    5) What traditional musical instrument do you know?
    6) What is your favourite traditional musical instrument?
    7) Do you know what a “bagpipe” is?
    8) Did you ever hear its sound?
    9) Do you like it?
    • Much
    • Enough
    • So and so
    • No
    10) Do you know anyone who plays the bagpipe?
    11) Have you ever seen a bagpipe player?
    • Frequently
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never
    12) Where were you the last time you have seen one?
    13) Could you give me a title of a famous traditional song for bagpipe?
    14) Dou you think that bagpipes are an important symbol of Scotland?
    • Yes, absolutely
    • I think so
    • Probably
    • I don’t think
    • No, absolutely

Thank you for your help and see you!!!

Serena

Serena

Welcome to the forum. I hope you like Dundee (a town I know well, having lived there for some years).

Regarding your questionnaire, I'm wondering if you've discussed it with your tutor. What's its purpose ? What are you trying to find out and from whom ? Do you only want non-Scots to answer it ? Do you think the questions will get you the answers ?

As a former lecturer, I think you really need to have a chat with yours. I'm sure they'd be able to give you hints as to the sorts of questions and survey methods you could use as, really, trying to get worthwhile results from a forum such as this, is pretty pointless, I'm sorry to say.

Good luck anyway.

Comment

My tutor knows that I'm putting this survey in a forum, and he'll check it just at the end of my project.
      This survey is for scottish-people, not foreigns. For this reason I'm posting it here, becase I dont' know many local people.

I think that the aim of my survey must be unknown for you ..to not influence your answers!

I hope that someone will answer my survey soon!

Serena

Comment

Originally posted by Serena81 View Post
        My tutor knows that I'm putting this survey in a forum, and he'll check it just at the end of my project.
        This survey is for scottish-people, not foreigns. For this reason I'm posting it here, becase I dont' know many local people.

I think that the aim of my survey must be unknown for you ..to not influence your answers!

I hope that someone will answer my survey soon!

Serena

Unfortunately, you are probably not going to target many of us Scots - we are in the absolute minority here - most members here are foreigners!

Comment

messaged you your survey answers

Comment

Originally posted by Serena81 View Post
            This survey is for scottish-people,

It's for Scots and he's approved you asking questions of Scots such as:

7) Do you know what a “bagpipe” is?
            8) Did you ever hear its sound?
            11) Have you ever seen a bagpipe player?
            Lassie, you ought to be asking for your tuition fees back !

Comment

Is there some kind of goal for this information? It seems pretty redundant to ask Scots these kinds of questions regarding Scots and Scotland, seems more of questionnaire for 'foreigners'.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Yes, it seems redundant, but it's necessary to have precise answers to be able to deduce a statistic.
                The poll was intended for Scottish people or for people who live in Scotland (also from different countries and cultures).
                My aim was to understand whether the bagpipe is still considered a symbol of Scotland or not: if the new generations and new inhabitants appreciate it and acknowledge it as a symbol of their culture.

Sure, knowing what a bagpipe is may be obvious for a Scotsman, but maybe there are people in Scotland who are not perfectly integrated into the Scottish culture and society, and maybe they could ignore (o refuse to recognize) the bagpipe.

A survey often uses obvious questions in order to achieve not-too-obvious results.

But it doesn't matter now! I thank “tig” for his contribution.

Serena

Comment

Working...
                X