Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Maine, USA

Hello to you all,

I am doing some research for my husband. He is trying to put together a family tree and so far he can only go back to Nova Scotia, Canada. After countless dead ends in researching Irish ancestry I thought I would see what I could find from Scotland. I find that the heritage and culture is welcoming. It's wonderful to read so many passionate posts regarding what it means to be Scot, and the ties you have to traditions and family. If only we had those traditions to pass on here in America. I look forward to reading and learning more about your culture.

God Bless,

Dianne

Helllo
    I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you are trying to find links to Scotland in your husband's ancestry because you were unsuccessful in finding any links back to Ireland? If so, you will still need to get back to the first immigrant to NS - and from there find out where the original immigrant emigrated from.

Comment

Hi there and welcome. Good luck with your search. Did you check the New York entry records? Many who immigrated to Canada would have come through New York and record keeping being fairly lax in the past people could have and did cross international borders without documentation.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Well it we came to a dead end with an adoption. I am not sure where to go from there. I do know that the child kept his original name but that's all I know. My husband has always believed that his family came from Ireland but we have found a lot of confusion the further we go. I'm new at this since I haven't had any interest in my own family roots.

My husband is very family oriented and is fascinated by history. His family says they have a crest and tartan, but I found that tartans are Scottish and crests are for individuals and not family names. So the assumption that they have are of Irish ancestry doesn't fit.

They could have both I'm sure, but anything I find I'm sure my husband would devour. It's a puzzle really, but he does love challenges.

My kids are getting older and he going to need a hobby anyway.

Comment

'Arms' are granted to individuals - but family 'crests' is big business - these bucket shops persuade the gullible that they are 'entitled' to the arms of a person bearing the same name - but the chances that someone who shares that name is still entitled to those arms are very remote!

Unless your husband's family can prove links to Scotland, then perhaps the stories about tartans and crests are just that - stories?!

BTW not every Scottish surname has a tartan, and not every Scot was a member of a clan, and therefore entitled to wear a tartan. However, even if your surname is not a clan name (either main clan or sept) - there are lots of 'district' tartans which people who live in that area may like to wear.

Comment

Interesting.... I never thought there was a difference between 'arms' and 'crests'.

I'll have to find out exactly which they think they have. You are always so helpful.

This site is so full of knowledge. I could easily get lost in it.

Comment

That's us, helpful to a fault!

A crest is usually the name given to the Chief's arms, surrounded by a buckled belt, which can be worn by clan members.

Comment

Working...
              X