Translation Request From Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation Request From Canada

I have been referred to this website by a nice fellow on an Irish Gaelic site. I will repeat my request here:

We have been trying to find a gaelic translation for "gathering place" for my sister and brother in law who want to use it as a name for their cottage where they frequently have friends "gathering". We were trying to obtain the Scots version as we are of Scottish ancestry however so far we've only been able to obtain the Irish "cruinniú láthair". (Which by the way I have no idea how to say.)

Would the Scots gaelic version be close to this? I would appreciate any assistance anyone could provide as it means a lot to my family. If anyone could help with this I would appreciate it. If possible, a phonetic pronunciation would be helpful as well, as we are but 2nd generation Canadians.

My mother was a Scots warbride. Born in Darvel. My father fought with the Hasty P's out of Prince Edward County in Ontario Canada.

I have been lucky enough to visit Scotland once in 1989 and have one uncle there in Glasgow still.

Thank you kindly for your help.

Margaret

Originally posted by kinnox View Post
    I have been referred to this website by a nice fellow on an Irish Gaelic site. I will repeat my request here:

We have been trying to find a gaelic translation for "gathering place" for my sister and brother in law who want to use it as a name for their cottage where they frequently have friends "gathering". We were trying to obtain the Scots version as we are of Scottish ancestry however so far we've only been able to obtain the Irish "cruinniú láthair". (Which by the way I have no idea how to say.)

Would the Scots gaelic version be close to this? I would appreciate any assistance anyone could provide as it means a lot to my family. If anyone could help with this I would appreciate it. If possible, a phonetic pronunciation would be helpful as well, as we are but 2nd generation Canadians.

My mother was a Scots warbride. Born in Darvel. My father fought with the Hasty P's out of Prince Edward County in Ontario Canada.

I have been lucky enough to visit Scotland once in 1989 and have one uncle there in Glasgow still.

Thank you kindly for your help.

Margaret

There are a couple of Gaelic speaking members on here (I'm not one of them) - but they visit infrequently. You may have more success if you repost your request in the 'Language' forum on this site.

Most of the members here are not Scots.

Comment

Working...
    X