Thank's for da welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank's for da welcome.

Hi. I'm george. i found this site and think it's good. so about me, i'm retired, my wife passed away a year ago, so i took up photography [it gets you oot da hoose] i'm originally frae Paisley, i emigrated north to da Shetland Islands after being a firefighter in Strathclyde for 14 years, i then joined the BP emergency team at Sullom Voe Oil Terminal was there 18 years. then retired..i would like to open a thread for wildlife if it's possible.. see you soon. george..

Hi George and welcome to s.com, I am one of the posters here and I am sure one of the Mods will be happy to welcome you also! I hope you enjoy it here and feel free to start that wildlife post whenever you see fit!

We dont actually have a wildlife or scenery board but the C'mon Inn is where everything else goes so that would be a good place to start. (I am sure one of the Mods will correct me if I should be in error)
    I apologize in advance for my spelling, it's no the best! (also please dont click anything that is double underlined, I didn't do that!)

Comment

Originally posted by george-g View Post
      Hi. I'm george. i found this site and think it's good. so about me, i'm retired, my wife passed away a year ago, so i took up photography [it gets you oot da hoose] i'm originally frae Paisley, i emigrated north to da Shetland Islands after being a firefighter in Strathclyde for 14 years, i then joined the BP emergency team at Sullom Voe Oil Terminal was there 18 years. then retired..i would like to open a thread for wildlife if it's possible.. see you soon. george..

Hello, welcome, George, and greetings from Glasgow.

Well done to all firefighters everywhere, but I am sorry to hear about your wife.

What with the "da" stuff, though, it sounds as though you have settled a fair bit now in the Shetlands? So I hope your new life there is good.

Open a thread for wildlife? Yes, oh, that does sound good, although for the moment, the nearest forum match is "Pets" (not the same thing, I know), OR, as LongHairedBeardedKiltie suggests, start a thread in the really very general purpose forum, the "Dot C*m*on Inn". The benefit of the latter suggestion is that more people will tend to view that one. So, do as you see fit, please.

So do you mean you have a lot of lovely photographs? If so, please try to make sure you can protect yourself in some way against the type of person who would steal them and pretend they are his own. No, that is not particularly a problem on this site, as far as I know, but merely an issue that has recently been brought to attention as happening to one of our members on other sites, that's all.

To wit: About Evil No-Good Photograph Copyright Stealers

Welcome again, and I really do look forward to seeing some of your photography, if you choose to show some here.

Comment

Thank's for da welcome.

Celyn & LHBkiltie..
        Many thank's for da welcome.. aye i've picked up a wee bit o da lingo from shetland, two of my son's tend to speak quite a bit o it, the other two don't... re. photographs. i don't really care if someone take's my photo's. after all. to me it's just a pleasure to know that someone like's them.. but it would be nice if they did ask.. but i will have to learn how to post them first.. if it's like my other forum, then it's a piece o cake.

Northmavine Community Website

Comment

Hi there George and welcome!

PLEASE!!! Start a wildlife thread in the Inn, that would be so cool! Especially if you can share some of your pictures confident that they wouldn't be stolen, most of us would enjoy them a great deal.

I'll pass on a suggestion to Admin that we look at beginning a Wildlife, flora fauna etc type forum.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by kathyv View Post
            ... I'll pass on a suggestion to Admin that we look at beginning a Wildlife, flora fauna etc type forum.
            ... YES, Kathy, that was my thought too, yes, yes. BUT I don't think we need much more proliferation of special-purpose fora, do we, really?

Perhaps the "Pets" forum could be re-jigged to be a more general "those creatures who are not human that we like to see and of which we would like to learn" thing, although, admittedly, a slightly snappier name might be needed.

(Note, I have *most* carefully changed my first text there so that it did not say " ... those "animals" etc", because I really do not feel like the animals/mammals/fish/cetaceans/add any variant you will/ ... debate.)

Heheh, all for a quiet life, me.

Comment

Oops, sorry all you mod's. i think i've jumped da gun.. I've started a thread on wildlife on CxMx on inn. it was just one or two or three photo's o Otters i took last year.. if it's not appropriate there.. then just delete it..

Comment

Welcome George to Scotland.com

I think the idea of a Wildlife Forum sounds good

Maybe it's already been made, I came straight into
                New Members so have no idea.
                If not feel free to post in the 'INN' till we can sort
                something out for you !!
                PS. I have merged both of your threads for you

Comment

Hi George, and welcome. I'm very keen on Natural History so your thread idea sounds great to me. Had a quick look at your pics - all VERY impressive work, thanks for posting them (especially the otters!). Would be good to use the same thread to discuss interesting sightings too - we tend to get all sorts of beasties wandering up the Forth, and I'm sure there must be plenty exotic visitors to The Shetlands too. I'll look forward to it.

Comment

Here's a plan. . .

I will begin a thread in the Inn and we can offer suggestions for a name, location, wording, etc for a wildlife or ? forum. I think the Pets forum could be th spot, with retitling, but that will be up to Admin.

Please post your suggestions there and I will let Admin know about it.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

hi and welcome.
                      Sorry to hear about your wife
                      Ooooooother than that,someone suggested you post your pics here on this site-it would be great to see your work

Comment

thanks for da welcome

Hello Kapia.
                        thanks for da welcome,, my photos are in the c'on'in thread.. under wildlife.. hope you enjoy them.. regards geordie..

Comment

Hi George and welcome.

Another buddie.

Comment

did indeed see them.quite beautiful

Comment

Working...
                            X