Looking for my clan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lianachan View Post
    just like Newcastle without further details usually means Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, and not any of the other Newcastles in England.
    Or Australia, America etc

Comment

Originally posted by Croi Sasanach View Post
      Or Australia, America etc

Indeed, though I think locality is bound to factor. Perth, for example, is a town on the Tay to me, but to a fair dinkum Aussie bloke....

Comment

Farr

Ahem, once again, a quick look at National Trust Names (formerly spatial-literacy.org) settles the matter. Farr is "English locational" and there don't really appear to have been any Farrs in Scotland at the time of the 1881 census, unlike South Wales, where there was a big concentration. By 1998 a reasonable number had moved as farr (oops) north as the Lake District.
        National Trust Names

Nevermind, boyo, it's still celtic.

Comment

Ahem
          I think I said it was English.... waaaaay back in the second post on this thread

As the OP has not returned and we have been really punny about the thread... I think we should get as farr away as possible from this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Farr View Post
            Hi, does anyone know anything about the Farr clan? I am also looking for other Farr's. I am also a Scott clan member, looking for them too!

Jason
            USA
            Perhaps your distant ancestor was reared in a Scots-Gaelic speaking family in the Scottish county of Sutherland. The 93rd (Sutherland) Highlanders formed the famous Thin Red Line at the battle of Balaclava. Note that there is another Farr in Inverness-shire, just south of Inverness.

Ian Grimble, the author of The World of Rob Donn was born in Hong Kong before moving to England to become a formidable linguist (he learned Scots-Gaelic unlike some better known "Scottish" historians!), historian and broadcaster. He expressed his engagement with the Celtic way of life in The Strathnaver Trilogy.

Comment

Its amazing how often Hugh2 (Raingeanach?) goes on about Gaelic and yet never once does he appear to use the language... I think that says everything really!
              Support CHAS the Children's Hospice Association Scotland

Comment

And how he regurgitates the same old rubbish? Oh and repeats the info given by earlier posters (non-Gaelic though, so that means their info is useless!).

Comment

Truth be told Pol, our Gaelicly-challenged friend Hugh2 is nothing more than a useless troll... he'd be better off joining another forum that would appreciate the crap he spouts (do you want to suggest one or shall I? )

Comment

No, no... modesty forbids.... on you go

Comment

Second thoughts, he can always search for that certain person who thinks he's from the winged isle!

Comment

Working...
                      X