• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mise
    replied
    Originally posted by deblang View Post
    Thank you all for the welcomes.
    Mise, will you be in Las Vegas for business or pleasure? Would be great to have a chat while you're here if scheduals permit.
    deblang

Hi deblang
    I'm in CA lecturing and I make a side trip to LV each time I'm over and will probably stay in Planet Hollywood.

Leave a comment:

• deblang
    replied
    Thank You!

Thank you all for the welcomes.
    Mise, will you be in Las Vegas for business or pleasure? Would be great to have a chat while you're here if scheduals permit.
    deblang

Leave a comment:

• Babz
    replied
    Originally posted by mise View Post
    But if one speaks a language surely one hears it?
    Actually I'm being sarcastic.
    The person who purported to speak garlic was stupid!

I have been called many things in my life but never 'stupid' first time for everything !!

I would have thought that the next to garlic would have shown it to be a joke...

Leave a comment:

• oneofthefew
    replied
    I think you will find it was a pun - a play on words - and quite a funny one too!

Leave a comment:

• mise
    replied
    But if one speaks a language surely one hears it?
    Actually I'm being sarcastic. The person who purported to speak garlic was stupid!

Leave a comment:

• Babz
    replied
    Originally posted by oneofthefew View Post
    Its not really something you hear mise... its one of your other senses that is affected!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 'one'

Leave a comment:

• oneofthefew
    replied
    Its not really something you hear mise... its one of your other senses that is affected!

Leave a comment:

• mise
    replied
    [QUOTE=Babz;399447][B][COLOR="Indigo"]Hi deblang and welcome from me to you !!

I can speak 'garlic'but not gaelic

You must let us hear an example of garlic. I've never heard it.

I

Leave a comment:

• Babz
    replied
    Hi deblang and welcome from me to you !!

I can speak 'garlic' but not gaelic

I am glad you find us entertaining...we aim to please

Leave a comment:

• oneofthefew
    replied
    I can accept being wrong, but I think here we might have to differentiate between native and non-native speakers of the language - for the latter Gaelic is more likely what they are going to type/say! Its always good to have these things explained though isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• mise
    replied

You could be wrong!
    Native speakers don't like to use the word Gaelic as it's pronounced gaylick
    whereas we pronounce our own language gahleek.

Leave a comment:

• oneofthefew
    replied
    I thought Gaelic was the anglicised version of Gaeilge (Irish Gaelic) or Gaidhlig (Scottish Gaelic)? As far as I am concerned, when talking/writing in English you would use Gaelic, but if speaking Gaelic you would use the appropriate version depending on whether you were speaking Irish or Scottish Gaelic! However, I could be VERY wrong!

Leave a comment:

• mise
    replied
    Hi deblang
    I hope to be in LV either in Dec. or Jan. Final arrangements haven't been made yet.
    If you would like to meet up I can help you with your Gaidhlig. [Gaelic is Irish!]
    mise

Leave a comment:

• oneofthefew
    replied
    Hi deblang and welcome to the funfair that is scotland.com!

Good luck with learning Gaelic by the way. I was never good at languages at school so I fear that any attempts I make to learn Gaelic would be a waste of time. However I have picked up a few phrases along the way. Are you learning it as a written or spoken language? The problem with the latter of course is finding someone to speak it to - even here in Scotland!

Leave a comment:

• deblang
    started a topic Hello from Las Vegas

Hello from Las Vegas

Hi. I actually joined this forum a month or so ago and am just now getting around to saying "Hi" to everyone!
    I've wanted to see Scotland for some time now and will eventually make it there, I hope!! When I decided to learn a foreign language a few months ago, of course I chose Scottish Gaelic. Why? Why not!! I've joined a few forums (most pertaining to the language), but this one is by far the most "entertaining".
    deblang
Working...
X