Hello from Las Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Las Vegas

Hi. I actually joined this forum a month or so ago and am just now getting around to saying "Hi" to everyone!
    I've wanted to see Scotland for some time now and will eventually make it there, I hope!! When I decided to learn a foreign language a few months ago, of course I chose Scottish Gaelic. Why? Why not!! I've joined a few forums (most pertaining to the language), but this one is by far the most "entertaining".
    deblang

Hi deblang and welcome to the funfair that is scotland.com!

Good luck with learning Gaelic by the way. I was never good at languages at school so I fear that any attempts I make to learn Gaelic would be a waste of time. However I have picked up a few phrases along the way. Are you learning it as a written or spoken language? The problem with the latter of course is finding someone to speak it to - even here in Scotland!
    I'm actually from Scotland so really I should have known better than to actually join this forum

Comment

Hi deblang
      I hope to be in LV either in Dec. or Jan. Final arrangements haven't been made yet.
      If you would like to meet up I can help you with your Gaidhlig. [Gaelic is Irish!]
      mise
      www.ceol-ur-nan-eilean.co.uk

Comment

I thought Gaelic was the anglicised version of Gaeilge (Irish Gaelic) or Gaidhlig (Scottish Gaelic)? As far as I am concerned, when talking/writing in English you would use Gaelic, but if speaking Gaelic you would use the appropriate version depending on whether you were speaking Irish or Scottish Gaelic! However, I could be VERY wrong!
        I'm actually from Scotland so really I should have known better than to actually join this forum

Comment

You could be wrong!
          Native speakers don't like to use the word Gaelic as it's pronounced gaylick
          whereas we pronounce our own language gahleek.

Comment

I can accept being wrong, but I think here we might have to differentiate between native and non-native speakers of the language - for the latter Gaelic is more likely what they are going to type/say! Its always good to have these things explained though isn't it?

Comment

Hi deblang and welcome from me to you !!

I can speak 'garlic' but not gaelic

I am glad you find us entertaining...we aim to please

Comment

[QUOTE=Babz;399447][B][COLOR="Indigo"]Hi deblang and welcome from me to you !!

I can speak 'garlic'but not gaelic

You must let us hear an example of garlic. I've never heard it.

I

Comment

Its not really something you hear mise... its one of your other senses that is affected!

Comment

Originally posted by oneofthefew View Post
                    Its not really something you hear mise... its one of your other senses that is affected!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 'one'

Comment

But if one speaks a language surely one hears it?
                      Actually I'm being sarcastic. The person who purported to speak garlic was stupid!

Comment

I think you will find it was a pun - a play on words - and quite a funny one too!

Comment

Originally posted by mise View Post
                          But if one speaks a language surely one hears it?
                          Actually I'm being sarcastic.
                          The person who purported to speak garlic was stupid!

I have been called many things in my life but never 'stupid' first time for everything !!

I would have thought that the next to garlic would have shown it to be a joke...

Comment

Thank You!

Thank you all for the welcomes.
                            Mise, will you be in Las Vegas for business or pleasure? Would be great to have a chat while you're here if scheduals permit.
                            deblang

Comment

Originally posted by deblang View Post
                              Thank you all for the welcomes.
                              Mise, will you be in Las Vegas for business or pleasure? Would be great to have a chat while you're here if scheduals permit.
                              deblang

Hi deblang
                              I'm in CA lecturing and I make a side trip to LV each time I'm over and will probably stay in Planet Hollywood.

Comment

Working...
                              X