Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello everyone. I'm Julie. I was born in Scotland, but I moved to Australia when I was 8 years old. I am currently studying linguistics, and I just did some research on Scots, it was lots of fun. I understand Scots pretty well, but I can't express myself so well in it. I grew up reading Oor Wullie, that helped a bit to learn it!

I there! Welcome, I like your dog pics! Is that a special pet?

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Hi. Yes, that's my German Shepherd, Jyra. She's very special. She's a four year old puppy!

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Julie View Post
        Hello everyone. I'm Julie. I was born in Scotland, but I moved to Australia when I was 8 years old. I am currently studying linguistics, and I just did some research on Scots, it was lots of fun. I understand Scots pretty well, but I can't express myself so well in it. I grew up reading Oor Wullie, that helped a bit to learn it!

Hi, Julie

I'm also new to the forum. Currently living in Scotland. Born in Inverness, now residing in Hamilton. By "Scots" do you mean our unique colloquialisms? Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer, my own limitations permitting.

Comment

She's beautiful! Makes me miss our old GSD!

Welcome also Clydey!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by kathyv View Post
            She's beautiful! Makes me miss our old GSD!

Welcome also Clydey!
            Hi Kathy.

I hadn't realised until I read that this was an American site. Are the majority on here American/Scottish American etc?

Comment

Clydey, my aunt lives in Hamilton and I lived there with her when I went over for three months 7 years ago.

By Scots I mean speaking like, "Ah'm awa hame the noo". Not Scottish colloquialisms that are in Scottish English. A person who speaks Scottish English will include some Scots words in their speech, such as 'fankle', but their speech on the whole is not called Scots if they are speaking Scottish Standard English.

KathyV, thankyou for the complement about Jyra. A lot of people tell me that she is beautiful, and I agree too!

Comment

Clydey
                This is an American-owned site. There are a few Scots on here, but no' mony o' us, ken.

Comment

Gey few, but we're no a' deid.

Comment

Aye, yer no wrang err, Celyn, hen

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Julie View Post
                      Clydey, my aunt lives in Hamilton and I lived there with her when I went over for three months 7 years ago.

By Scots I mean speaking like, "Ah'm awa hame the noo". Not Scottish colloquialisms that are in Scottish English. A person who speaks Scottish English will include some Scots words in their speech, such as 'fankle', but their speech on the whole is not called Scots if they are speaking Scottish Standard English.
                      I see. Shan't pretend that I'm an expert on "Scots". I'm more well versed in Scottish English, but I adhere more to traditional English these days. You'd have scarcely understood me if we spoke a few years back, mind you.

And as far as your aunt living in Hamilton, it really is a small word. Of all the gin joints in Scotland etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
                        Clydey
                        This is an American-owned site. There are a few Scots on here, but no' mony o' us, ken.
                        Good to know that we are of interest to Americans, what with tartan day and all that.

Comment

Sort of like museum artefacts, you mean?!

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
                            Sort of like museum artefacts, you mean?!
                            We're not that ancient, are we?

Comment

No... but many of the members on here join to find out about our 'cute' ways and 'cuter' culture. Or they're looking for a braw heilan laddie, stridin through the heather, woad-painted and just desperate to find someone!

Comment

Working...
                              X