Hi there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there!

Hello! I am an American (USA) young man that loves Scotland! I've never been there(sadly), but I love it. Actually, I am writing a historical fiction book about a Scottish family that lives on the Isle of Skye during the early 1800's. Sooo, I was wondering if anybody here lived on the Isle, and had been around Dunvegan Castle. I would like to post with you if you do, because it would really help me. Thanks!

Originally posted by Napoleonic View Post
    Hello! I am an American (USA) young man that loves Scotland! I've never been there(sadly), but I love it. Actually, I am writing a historical fiction book about a Scottish family that lives on the Isle of Skye during the early 1800's. Sooo, I was wondering if anybody here lived on the Isle, and had been around Dunvegan Castle. I would like to post with you if you do, because it would really help me. Thanks!
    Hello
    I suspect that many of us have visited Skye (me included!) - this site might help you.

Welcome to Dunvegan Castle

Comment

Yeah, I've been to that site before. I think I've been to most every site about Dunvegan.

Comment

Then what is it you want to know?

Mind you, if we had a pound for every person who's come on this site to tell us they are writing either an historical novel or a bodice-ripper 'Handsome Highlander marries young Maiden' book..... We'd be RICHHHHHHH!!!!

Comment

1. Its not a love story

2. A pound? Heck, we get things by the pound over here all the time. Joking, I know what you mean.

3. I would like to talk to somebody who lives on Skye, but if that is too much for you guys, then I can look elsewhere.

Comment

Most of the 'natives' on here are natives of the USA, not Scotland!

There are a small number of us 'real' natives... but I'm from Edinburgh, not Skye, I'm afraid, although I have visited Skye often.

Comment

Ha, ha, I guess I would have to go to an American forum to talk to Scots then, huh? Joking. Well, I'll keep looking.

Comment

This IS an American forum - as is the web site its associated with! You need to go to a REAL Scottish forum - or better still write about something you know otherwise your book will be just fiction with a vague connection to history!

Comment

Now you KNOW suggesting that someone writing a novel about Scotland should visit a 'real' Scots site is just throwing the OP to the lions! Mincemeat comes tae mind.

Comment

Oh, I know about it and it has plenty of connection to history; I've studied history and Scotland for the story, besides the fact that history is my favorite subject and I know a lot of it. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Now you KNOW suggesting that someone writing a novel about Scotland should visit a 'real' Scots site is just throwing the OP to the lions! Mincemeat comes tae mind.

Och, well then I guess I'll have tae look somewhere else.

Comment

No - if you have specific questions, just ASK.... most of us would be delighted to help... vague 'Has anyone been to Dunvegan'-type questions ain't enough!

And looking for 'real' Scots sites on the internet is almost like looking for a needle in a haystack. Most of them are owned and run by Americans!

Comment

Ok, thanks. Here is some maybe some of you can answer.

1. Can anybody tell me what the terrain is like around Dunvegan Castle?
                          2. What is the weather normally like on Skye, in the winter/spring?
                          3. This is a tuffer one that I couldn't find much info about, a history question, can anybody tell me what Skye was like during the early 1800's (surrounding towns, events)
                          4. Is there a lot of villages around Dunvegan, ones that have been around since the 1800's?

Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
                            Most of the 'natives' on here are natives of the USA, not Scotland!

There are a small number of us 'real' natives... but I'm from Edinburgh, not Skye, I'm afraid, although I have visited Skye often.
                            teuchterville.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleonic View Post
                              Ok, thanks. Here is some maybe some of you can answer.

1. Can anybody tell me what the terrain is like around Dunvegan Castle?
                              2. What is the weather normally like on Skye, in the winter/spring?
                              3. This is a tuffer one that I couldn't find much info about, a history question, can anybody tell me what Skye was like during the early 1800's (surrounding towns, events)
                              4. Is there a lot of villages around Dunvegan, ones that have been around since the 1800's?

Thanks so much!

Hi Napoleonic and a belated welcome from me to you !!

Look in here for map of Dunvegan and surrounding areas....

Get-a-map from Ordnance Survey

It was raining when I went to Skye...

Not sure if the next address will be of any help but as its an ordance map of the 1800's it could be !!

Caledonian Maps Top Quality Reproduction Historical Maps of Scotland

The above should be of help for last 2 of your questions !!

As this is the 'greetings' part of the site you could try putting your historical questions in the 'History' forum !!

Comment

Working...
                              X