Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taterjag
    replied
    Hello snow_flake, I got married at 19 and that was 26 years ago, marrage is a lot of hard work but as with anythng you really want you will put the work into it, We have had lots of ups and downs but now as I look back the down times just brought us that much closer together, so good luck with your engagement. But it might be a good ideal to make it a long one,

Holly what small college town do you live in? I work in a college town in the midwest. take care

jag

Leave a comment:

• snow_flake
    replied

okay

Leave a comment:

• Babz
    replied
    Hi snow_flake !!

I live in Aberdeen, have done so for just over 3 years now...moved up from England, hubby got job offer and we jumped at the chance.

All my daughters and their families are still down in England and we do see them quite often

As to my age...I wont see 21 again...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherbrooke.......

Thank you kind sir for that...having children young has kept me young...hubby would not
    agree with that first thing in the morning...lolol

Leave a comment:

• snow_flake
    replied
    Hi and thanks

Love is strong

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by HollyElise
    I wish you the best of luck.

I'm curious, though... why you want to get married so young?

I hate to sound negative, but i have to say something, because i know if you marry young (24 or under), your marriage has little chance of lasting and being happy (see statistics below).

In the next few years you will be growing a lot and discovering who you are as adults. Though you love each other now, you may find you are growing in very different directions and want different things out of life once you have time out of your parents' houses, get job experience, and live a little. Why not wait a little and find out what kind of life you want first? Why not live a little on your own? If you are meant to be as a couple, he will still be with you in a few years. And not getting married doesn't mean you can't have a nice ring and big party and go travelling!

Data from divorcepeers.com:

Age at marriage for those who divorce in the United States

--------------------------------------------------
    Age.......................................... Women................................ Men
    Under 20 years old....................... 27.6%............................. 11.7%
    20 to 24 years old....................... 36.6%.............................. 38.8%
    25 to 29 years old....................... 16.4%.............................. 22.3%
    30 to 34 years old....................... 8.5%............................... 11.6%
    35 to 39 years old....................... 5.1%............................... 6.5%

http://www.divorcepeers.com/statistics.htm
    Hi Becky, and welcome!

I join Holly in wishing you the best of luck! As regards the statistics, couldn't it just be reflecting the ages at which most people get married? If you compared the above percentages to the percentages of all marriages at those ages, maybe there would be a correlation to age - maybe not.

I was 21, my wife 19 when we wed - that will be 21 years ago this summer - and I wouldn't change a thing!

And Babz - you seem much to young to be a grandmother!

Leave a comment:

• snow_flake
    replied
    hi and thanks

ofc there are people still married, i dont know what people really have against people getting engaged at this age, it is love and that can happen at any age

How old are you?

where do you live in UK?

Leave a comment:

• Babz
    replied
    Hi snow_flake and a belated welcome from me to the site, I have been on hols for nearly 3 weeks and its
    good to be back !!

I must be one of the 72.4% of the info that Holly gave out that has managed to stay married as I got married
    at 17, mind you I am not in the US but the UK...lol

3 daughters and 5 grandsons here !!

Leave a comment:

• snow_flake
    replied
    well first of all i said engaged not married, it doesnt mean the same way as it did before that every engaged couple has to get married in a few months after that. if you do love a person why dont you take a chance at him? what if he is the one for me? and i just miss that chance? i want to see how it goes first then think about marriage.

and what do say that as an engaged couple cant have fun and live a little, it doesnt mean that everything fun has to stop and you must think about moving in togheter, get a job and kids. It shows that we love eachother a lot, and both young and old can feel love, how strong or little it might be so i respect your feeling about it but we are not getting married just showing our love.

ps. how old are you?

Leave a comment:

• HollyElise
    replied
    I wish you the best of luck.

I'm curious, though... why you want to get married so young?

I hate to sound negative, but i have to say something, because i know if you marry young (24 or under), your marriage has little chance of lasting and being happy (see statistics below).

In the next few years you will be growing a lot and discovering who you are as adults. Though you love each other now, you may find you are growing in very different directions and want different things out of life once you have time out of your parents' houses, get job experience, and live a little. Why not wait a little and find out what kind of life you want first? Why not live a little on your own? If you are meant to be as a couple, he will still be with you in a few years. And not getting married doesn't mean you can't have a nice ring and big party and go travelling!

Data from divorcepeers.com:

Age at marriage for those who divorce in the United States

Age.......................................... Women................................ Men
    Under 20 years old....................... 27.6%............................. 11.7%
    20 to 24 years old....................... 36.6%.............................. 38.8%
    25 to 29 years old....................... 16.4%.............................. 22.3%
    30 to 34 years old....................... 8.5%............................... 11.6%
    35 to 39 years old....................... 5.1%............................... 6.5%

http://www.divorcepeers.com/statistics.htm

Leave a comment:

• snow_flake
    replied
    yeah school and stuff, there is a lot of homework the end of the term and all. plus that i will get engaged this summer so that i have been busy with checking the rings and stuff

Leave a comment:

• HollyElise
    replied
    What have you been busy with, school?

Things have been busy in my small city. I'm not in college right now, but this town is very influenced by the rhythms of the college, and it's ending it's term now, so every business in town is busy and preparing for alumni and parents visiting and students leaving and moving away.

Leave a comment:

• snow_flake
    replied
    yeah i love history, scotland has great history, i have been reading, mary queen of scots, but i have been busy and have just read to the half

Leave a comment:

• HollyElise
    replied
    Do you like to read history?

I've been reading "Scotland: The Story of a Nation" by Magnus Magnusson.... but i've been a little busy lately so i haven't gotten very far in it.

Leave a comment:

• snow_flake
    replied
    well i am intrested in scotland, its history and cultur so i found this page and joined

Leave a comment:

• HollyElise
    replied
    Hi Snowflake!

What brings you here?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X