So here I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So here I am

This is my first contribution to this board and on this occasion I want to introduce myself:

Call me Starbuck. I was born in a small town near Frankfurt/Germany and I never left this place longer than three weeks. And this although I am no more the youngest under the sun. My age: 44.

In the last six years I wrote only on German boards, but now I want to try it on this scottish Forum for refresh my English knowledge. Naturally I will make a lot of mistakes, but if I don`t try to communicate in this foreign language, I never learn it. So be lenient towards me.

Welcome, Starbuck. Did you bring coffee?

Your English seems to be VERY good, actually. We have one or two other people from Germany on the board, I think, including one of our very long-time members (and moderators, Joachim),

In fact I have a feeling that a lot of the native English speakers here will make more mistakes. Welcome, and have fun exploring the message board.

As for being 44, well, we have members who are a lot younger, and members who are a lot older. As for me, I might have to say that 44 is absolutely the right age.

Comment

We will be gentle with you, Starbuck.

Welcome!

... and i would guess you chose your name from Battlestar Galactica, not the coffee chain. Am i correct?

Comment

I drink very much coffee, but the creation of my Nickname is not originate in this dark and hot stuff..and also not from Battlestar Galactica......more from the first harpooneer of the "Pequod" in Herman Melvill`s "Moby Dick"..my favourite book, when I was a child.

By the way, "Moby Dick" started with the words "Call me Ishmael".so I use this sentence for my introducing "Call me Starbuck". . That suits fine.....in my eyes.

Comment

ahhhhh!

I wonder now if the Starbuck character in Battlestar Galactica was named after the character in Moby Dick. I have a friend who is a huge Battlestar Galactica fan, i'll see if he knows.

What do you do, Starbuck? (work) I am an artist and I teach knitting at a little yarn shop.

Comment

Oh dear. I have to admit I have not read "Moby Dick".

I don't know about Battlestar Galactica either, come to think of it.

Comment

I remember having to read it for O Grade English... Yes, OK, Celyn... i know... dates me!

Comment

Oooh, NO! "O" Grades don't date anyone AT ALL. It was "O" Grades and "Highers" in my time too. They didn't start going all funny and new-fangled until later.

Comment

Originally posted by HollyElise
                  What do you do, Starbuck? (work) I am an artist and I teach knitting at a little yarn shop.
                  To teach knitting should be an art? No...I don`t think so. So what kind of an artist you are, Elise?

Myself I am a lawyer. For more than ten years I worked as an advocate, but since 3 years I`m working in the contract management of a company. It`s not thrilling, but the job is o.k.

Comment

I also do photography, painting, drawing (i'll be teaching a drawing class this summer) and mail art. Oh... and calligraphy. There is a little art shop here where i sell decorative calligraphy.

What do you enjoy doing when you're not working?

Comment

What do you enjoy doing when you're not working?
                      I spend a lot of time with my dog. It`s a hunting dog with effervescence temper.....though it (it`s a she) will be eleven years old in a few weeks.

What I also like is to run long distances. Maybe I will start this year at the Frankfurt Marathon (end of october). I will see. t would be my first Marathon. Its not so easy for a chain-smoker like me.

And still I play the guitar...electric and acoustic.

Ahhhh.....nearly I would have forgotten it: I like to drink Whisky. In this moment, I sip at a glas of 12 years old Lagavulin with 58,2 % vol.

Comment

hahahaha ...so you have at least two vices!

What kind of hunting dog do you have? I used to have a Brittainy Spaniel... they both point and fetch. I miss her very much.

A couple of years ago i was training for a triathalon (running, bicycling, and swimming). I had a conflict between my work schedule and my training times, so i had to stop, but also I discovered I need to improve my swimming skills. I can swim, but if you aren't really good at technique, then you use a lot more energy to go the same distance. I was considering getting a coach for my swimming technique this year, but i have so much to do, we shall have to see.

If you have any trouble understanding what i am writing, please, just ask and i will rephrase it for better understanding.

Comment

hahahaha ...so you have at least two vices!
                          I fear, that I have some more vices. ....

What kind of hunting dog do you have?
                          It`s a "Pudelpointer".....a german race....and I don`t know, whether in Great Britain is used the same name.

A couple of years ago i was training for a triathalon .........but also I discovered I need to improve my swimming skills. I can swim, but if you aren't really good at technique, then you use a lot more energy to go the same distance.
                          In the last three years I attended at some short-distance-triathlons (1/10 of Iron-Man-Distance). This year I will start also in the beginning of September. The triathlon with the longest distance I attended was 550 m swimming / 20 Km bicycling / 5 Km running. It was a hard one, `cause most of the time the distance was going uphill...except swimming naturally.

Swimming for me is a also a problem....but the bigger one is bicycling, `cause the whole year I don`t ride a bicycle. I only do this at the contest. That`s very hard.
                          Last edited by Starbuck; 25th April 2006, 05:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbuck
                            It was a hard one, `cause most of the time the distance was going uphill...except swimming naturally.
                            hahahhaha! You're funny!

And i'm impressed you've done the Iron Man!

I haven't heard of a Pudelpointer, but there are so many recognized breeds these days. I just looked it up on the Web, and yes, they are called Pudelpointers here as well. Nice dog!

http://www.pudelpointer.com/
                            http://www.pudelpointer.org/

Well, it is a gorgeous day and i'm about to go for my usual 6 kilometer walk before the sun goes down. What are you doing this weekend?

Comment

What are you doing this weekend?
                              I did nothing but relaxing. No, that`s not right. Yesterday I was running 14 Km so fast as I can und today I attended a 8 km distance slowly....the old dog always beside me. The rest was recreation.

Comment

Working...
                              X