Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dream of living in Scotland

Hi all,

For as long as I can remember I've always been drawn to Scotland and everything Scot. I can't explain why I feel that way. My great grandfather or great, great grandfather (can't remember which) came to Canada from Scotland. From there my grandfather ended up in Tucson Arizona....actually alot of Douglas' ended up in Arizona....
    I would love to live in Scotland somewhere outside a small village. I am a bit of a hermit....some would say shy....any recommendations on a wonderful spot to live? Somewhere I could enjoy gardening, long strolls, a place to day dream? Somewhere folks love to share their stories, laughter and caring nature?
    I'm really interested so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

CrazyJanie

Hello

It's nice that you would like to live in Scotland - and there are many nice places in our country. We welcome incomers (in the main!). However,
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but unless you have a recent family member (in some cases no further back than a grandparent) who was born in Scotland; then your hopes of emigrating here are pretty remote.

UNLESS: you have skills for which we are still looking, and at present, that is teaching, medicine and a few engineering skills.

OR: you can prove that you have enough cash to start a business or that you are able to live here, and be no charge on the State, either for medical or educational or financial support.

BUT, I wish you success with your dreams, and if you require information about interesting places to live, then I'm sure that lots of people will have their own views.

I love the borders - and also the area between Stirling and Glasgow. Aberfoyle is a great village, and so are Callendar and Pitlochry.

Comment

Hi janie and welcome from me to Scotland.com !!

I am in Aberdeen on the north east coast.
      There are many places in Scotland where you can 'lose' yourself in thought and deed !!

Do you have any of the skills that Polworth mentioned to enable you to come over ??

If not maybe you could come over on a long holiday !!

Comment

Dreamer

Unfortunately I do not have anything that Scotland is looking for. So I must work on becoming financially secure to live on my own monies......I totally agree with the limitations.....I wish we too could adopt that sort of policy here in the states....I would never wish to be a burden.....never have been and don't wish to start at this late stage of my life.....a long holiday sounds wonderful.....I love history and could very easily get lost in the learning of much through wandering. My bubble has not been burst. I'm very tenacious. I could always teach web publishing...don't have a certificate but currently deal with web page publishing with my current position within Hewlett Packard. A company I have been with for over 22 years.....Thank you to Babz and Polworth for responding to me. Can you tell me why you enjoy the areas that you mention? Is it the folks, the climate, the history, etc....

Thank you again.

Comment

My home city is Edinburgh, the capital. I love it! I also love the borders as the scenery is good and there is a lot of history and historical sites to visit. Some of the beaches are magnificent. The people are friendly, too. I've holidayed there since I was a very young child and never grow tired of the area.

BUT the whole of our country is beautiful, in different ways. The highlands are great wonderful with spectacular scenery.

The climate in Scotland? Naaaaah, we have wet, cold, dreich days in winter (and not just the winter, either) - and our summers can be short!

Comment

They say...land of my fathers...well my dad is an Aberdonian living in England where I was born..I
            think that if they had waited a couple of years to move from Aberdeen I would be Scottish
            but never mind I am living up here now and have been doing so for nearly three years now !!

Hubby and I had decided to retire up here but he was offered employment so we sold up and
            moved and do not regret it one bit !!

The pace of life in Scotland is more relaxed and people on the whole are friendly, its like most
            places good and bad !!

The scenery is awesome and even though the weather can be cold its a different type of
            cold to England...hope you understand that !!

Comment

I enjoy the rainy weather......not a sun loving person...fair haired, fair skinned. Do you ever get to see the whales migrating? What about the food? What is the favorite food? What about the scent in the wind...is it mainly heather? Are there forests with huge trees and ferns? What is the worst thing about Scotland? What about castles? Do the moors exist in Scotland and if they do what exactly are they? By that is moor a type of swamp? What thrives in a moor? Do many men wear kilts? Is there a status tied to kilts? Do their knees feel cold? With the rainy season do you have a problem with mosquitos?
              I have lived in a desert and high desert enviroment all of my life. So we come across alot of snakes, trantulas, scorpions, wolf spiders (mostly desert area). The high desert area still come across snakes and wolf spiders but also deer, bear, elk, racoons and the sort. My favorite birds are the morning dove, woodpeckers and ducks....

Comment

I'll try to answer some of your questions - others may have different replies to the same questions.

Originally posted by crazyjanie
                I enjoy the rainy weather......not a sun loving person...fair haired, fair skinned. Do you ever get to see the whales migrating?

I've been whale watching.

What about the food? What is the favorite food?
                The food when cooked well is wonderful. Fresh local seafood, lamb and beef. Fresh seasonal vegetables, and Scotland grows the best soft fruits in the world - ie brambles and rasps. However, we are the heart-attack capital of Europe and a lot of people (not me!) eat lots of fried foods. We invented the deep fried Mars bar!

What about the scent in the wind...is it mainly heather?
                Scent in the wind? I think you are reading too many romantic novels!

Are there forests with huge trees and ferns?
                Yes.

What is the worst thing about Scotland?
                Can't think of anything!
                What about castles?
                What about them? There are lots and lots of castles, big and small, grand and in ruins.

Do the moors exist in Scotland and if they do what exactly are they?
                Moors are wild, windswept areas - many are peat moors and the peat was dug and used on the fires.

By that is moor a type of swamp? What thrives in a moor?
                Lots of wildlife. heathers and other plants.

Do many men wear kilts? Is there a status tied to kilts? Do their knees feel cold?
                I don't know what you mean about a status for kiltwearers. In Edinburgh you probably see more kilts per square mile than anywhere else in Scotland - even if they ARE only usually worn for weddings, funerals and attending kirk or the football or rugby.

With the rainy season do you have a problem with mosquitos?
                Our 'rainy' season lasts most of the year. We have our own brand of small, biting insect, called midgies. They are the bane of my life. I've been bitten as early as April/May - and still been bitten in October! Long, long season. They love forests and damp environments. So long forest walks can be a nightmare for people like me.

I have lived in a desert and high desert enviroment all of my life. So we come across alot of snakes, trantulas, scorpions, wolf spiders (mostly desert area). The high desert area still come across snakes and wolf spiders but also deer, bear, elk, racoons and the sort. My favorite birds are the morning dove, woodpeckers and ducks....

Comment

I understand you totally, CJ!

My love to Scotland was given to me from my grandmother and my mother who knew so much about Scotland's history (and the Gaels) that it makes me wonder. Many values they taught me are very similar to Scottish values. It might simply be because they were from a deep rooted Bavarian culture and genetically the Bavarians had assimilited the Danubecelts, while other Germanic tribes pushed the Celts mostly out. There was always talk about non-German ancestors too, so perhaps... unfortunately my family has shrunk to my mother who has dementia.

My father moved us to London, later to Dundee, just for a wee while and later to NewYork. We returned to Germany and that's where I went to high school and University. Instead to Scotland, I made it back to the US, and on being on my second assignmet I made it for good, with the permanent residency.

Anyways, I wanted to visit 38 years ago, wanted to study Gaelic 35 years ago! I've managed to visit and to study Gaelic and think of retire in Scotland. With my EU passport I could work but I have two highschool kids...

Hope I didn't bore you.
                  'S toil leam Gàidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrìobhadh oir 'se an cànan feumail agus àlainn a th' innte.

Comment

East Coast Answers

Do you ever get to see the whales migrating?
                    On east coast you are more liable to see Dolphins, I see them in Aberdeen Bay

What about the food?
                    Minced Beef, Tatties(potatoes) and Mealie Puddings(Oatmeal with Onions and Oil usually suet in a sausage skin)

What is the favorite food?
                    Could be anything as population is varied

What about the scent in the wind...is it mainly heather?
                    Down by the Docks here its Fish !!

Are there forests with huge trees and ferns?
                    Yes there are with too many ferns !!

What is the worst thing about Scotland?
                    The Roads !!

What about castles?
                    Lots in Grampian Area

Do the moors exist in Scotland and if they do what exactly are they?
                    Same reply as Polworth for this and next two questions !!
                    By that is moor a type of swamp?
                    What thrives in a moor?

Do many men wear kilts?
                    Kilt wearers mainly seen here at University Graduation time !!

Is there a status tied to kilts?
                    Not as much nowadays, the world and its father seems to want to wear one for special occasions!!

Do their knees feel cold?
                    Do your's when you wear a skirt !!

With the rainy season do you have a problem with mosquitos?
                    Most of the Midgies as we call them can be found over the west side of the country, a few will migrate over to east and if they bite me I know about it !!
                    I know we don't mind answering questions but if you have anymore could you post them in the 'Inn'
                    as you will get more replies and it would be interesting to see what others have to say about
                    life in Scotland !!

Comment

I was not bored in the least reading the replies....I will try the 'Inn' as suggested. I know that living in the states there is so much I take for granted in my surroundings and that they will be those who will never know what it is like to live or visit the places I have. I believe that certain smells will trigger a memory that I have long forgotten, or places I find myself taken back to a time of innocence for me. As I grow older I want to experince more of the world around me. If I can't experince it for myself, I appreciate those who share their experiences. I feel such a strong kinship towards anything Scotland I can't get enough.....it's like those uncontrollable urges to pork on chocolate....you know what I mean? That strong pull can be a bit overwhelming as I can't just fill that void at a moment notice......
                      Yes, my knees do get cold when I where a dress. Scotland represents to me a country that is built on loyalty, loyalty to ones self, ones family and ones country. Loyalty that has been cultured and nurtured over thousands of years. Strength, strength to bear up when everything and everyone is against you. Humor, that is bore out in difficult times and situations. Yes, you could feel that anywhere.....but not to depths that I see from Scotland.
                      Well enough of that I will move on to another post. Thank you all for your responses. All my love to Scotland!!!

Comment

Scotland represents to me a country that is built on loyalty, loyalty to ones self, ones family and ones country. Loyalty that has been cultured and nurtured over thousands of years. Strength, strength to bear up when everything and everyone is against you. Humor, that is bore out in difficult times and situations. Yes, you could feel that anywhere.....but not to depths that I see from Scotland.
                        Have you visited Scotland?
                        'all our plans were made on streets the winter paved, as streetlamp lucozade orange fell...'

Comment

I don't think CJ has visited, Lithgae - otherwise she'd know what a peatbog and a moor were

I often think that Scotland must be a sad disappointment to many of the visitors who think the purple, heatherclad hills and the castles are the be-all and end-all...

Comment

I have never been to Scotland. I doubt I would be disappointed.

Comment

Hello CrazieJanie!!! Welcome to Scotland.com! Have you been checking out the boards? Do you like them?

Comment

Working...
                              X