Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

I am from Missouri in the USA. I have been doing research on my ancestors from Scotland. One day I would love to go to Scotland, but I think if I did I wouldn't want to leave. But I have been told change is good!!!!!!
    "IF WOMEN DIDN'T EXIST, ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD WOULD HAVE NO MEANING." Aristotle Onassis

JUELES

Hello onescottishrose! Welcome to S.com You might want to check out the genealogy section, you may find help there!
    Don't be shy, jump into any conversation you like! We dont bite, I promise! Enjoy!

Comment

allo people!!!

Comment

Hi onescottishrose and welcome to you from Aberdeen !!

Do you know what part of Scotland they come from ??

Anyway enjoy yourself on the site as we do !!

Comment

Howdy!
          A wise man knows when to speak, and a fool never shuts up!

Comment

Babz and Seddglas
            Thanks for making me feel welcome. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this one. Sometimes I forget where I entered.
            Need to keep track though,
            To answer the question about where my ancestors are from, the answer I believe is Kirkcudbright and Wigtown.

Hope to chat with you again. I can only get on line in the evening after I get home from work.

onescottishrose
            Please forgive me, a thank u to mee too!!
            "IF WOMEN DIDN'T EXIST, ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD WOULD HAVE NO MEANING." Aristotle Onassis

JUELES

Comment

If you cannot remember where you posted replies, you can enter a reply and on the bottom bar there are icons for profile, search and quote .
              Click on profile and it will bring up a copy of your profile and on the top right hand corner "all posts by this registered user" click on that and you will see where you posted replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenkid
                If you cannot remember where you posted replies, you can enter a reply and on the bottom bar there are icons for profile, search and quote .
                Click on profile and it will bring up a copy of your profile and on the top right hand corner "all posts by this registered user" click on that and you will see where you posted replies.
                Aberdeenkid
                Nice to meet you and thanks for the info. This will help me alot.

JUELES

Comment

Kirkcudbright and wigtown

Hi and welcome

I'm not sure how much you know about Kirkcudbright pronounced cer coo bri , believe it or not, Kirkcudbright is as far as I'm concerned is the nicest place on earth , situated about half way between Dumfries and Stranraer,Stranraer is the west coast port where ferries leave for Ireland, any way Kirkcudbright is situated on the solway firth which is a kind of large inlet from the Irish sea, and has a lovely harbour where fishing boats and pleasuse boats are used and is in Dumfries&galloway , in days gone by it was the home to many painters some very famous some not so famous, but such is the beauty of Kirkcudbright it acts like a magnet, once visited never forgotten, My wife and I came from Kirkcudbright , had to move for work If you tell me a surname and try to be more accurate where your ancestors came from I may be able to help , A lot of my wifes ancestors moved to Canada and America.. Wigown is further along the solway towards Stranraer If you drive from Kirkcudbright along the solway firth towards Stranraer the first town you come to is Gatehouse Of Fleet , the second is a village called Carsluith , the third is Creetown then Newton Stewart after Newton Stewart instead of going west you turn sort of south west and down to Wigtown It is about 40 to 45 miles fromKirkcudbright Not much info but maybe a start ..

Comment

Welcome

Hi! welcome aboard! so what kind of things did you find out about your heritage? i would love to chat!

vanora
                    "mea gloria fides"

Comment

Re: Kirkcudbright and wigtown

Originally posted by dogandgoldfish

Hi and welcome

I'm not sure how much you know about Kirkcudbright pronounced cer coo bri , believe it or not, Kirkcudbright is as far as I'm concerned is the nicest place on earth , situated about half way between Dumfries and Stranraer,Stranraer is the west coast port where ferries leave for Ireland, any way Kirkcudbright is situated on the solway firth which is a kind of large inlet from the Irish sea, and has a lovely harbour where fishing boats and pleasuse boats are used and is in Dumfries&galloway , in days gone by it was the home to many painters some very famous some not so famous, but such is the beauty of Kirkcudbright it acts like a magnet, once visited never forgotten, My wife and I came from Kirkcudbright , had to move for work If you tell me a surname and try to be more accurate where your ancestors came from I may be able to help , A lot of my wifes ancestors moved to Canada and America.. Wigown is further along the solway towards Stranraer If you drive from Kirkcudbright along the solway firth towards Stranraer the first town you come to is Gatehouse Of Fleet , the second is a village called Carsluith , the third is Creetown then Newton Stewart after Newton Stewart instead of going west you turn sort of south west and down to Wigtown It is about 40 to 45 miles fromKirkcudbright Not much info but maybe a start ..

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to answering. Have been out of town for several days.
                      The surname I am seeking is Maclellan/McClelland. I need to ask if there is a place called Maclellandtown. If so my 6th great uncle William is buried there.
                      I would love any help I can get. I plan to visit Kirkcudbright in April.

JUELES

Comment

Re: Welcome

Originally posted by vanora
                        Hi! welcome aboard! so what kind of things did you find out about your heritage? i would love to chat!

vanora
                        I have found out quite a bit. But am still trying to get the connection from which Maclellan I am descended from. It has been very difficult, but I will keep trying. I am planning to visit Scotland in April. I am so very excited.
                        Would love to chat with you too! I am on Yahoo Messenger and my e-mail is attached in the thread.
                        Talk to ya later.
                        Jueles

JUELES

Comment

Kirkcudbright

Hi

There is a MacLellan Castle in the centre of Kirkcudbright it is open to the public,. On a Thursday evening in the summer season there is a Scottish night held in the town square with pipers, dancers, folk singers etc, on the last Thursday of the season the evening closes with a lone piper playing Scotland the Brave from the ramparts of the castle which overlook the square, then a torch light procession through the town, then if you have got any sense you will go in to the Masonic Arms for a few beers.... There is a Balmaclellan which is a village near the town of New Galloway, to reach Balmaclellan you would leave Kirkcudbright on the A 75 heading towards Castle Douglas, at Castle Douglas ignore the first turn off, then after abut a mile, turn left on the A 713 along the side of Loch Ken you will come to New Galloway, then Balmaclellan, I don't know of any other Maclellan, but I'm going to enquire on your behalf.... There is a museum in Kirkcudbright who may be able to assist you with your enquiries, if you have any other information regarding your ancestors it could help me in my search for you, regrettably Maclellan is not one of my wifes ancestors, although her uncle was at one time the curator of Maclellan's castle. As I explained I don't live there now, But still have family there and return whenever I can 'cause its Gods country .. is there any thing else you would like to know April could still be cold, be better for you a bit later in the year .

Comment

Kirkcudbright

Sorry I forgot to mention I don't know of a Maclellandtown , but I will ask enjoy your stay

Comment

Re: Kirkcudbright

Originally posted by dogandgoldfish

Hi

There is a MacLellan Castle in the centre of Kirkcudbright it is open to the public,. On a Thursday evening in the summer season there is a Scottish night held in the town square with pipers, dancers, folk singers etc, on the last Thursday of the season the evening closes with a lone piper playing Scotland the Brave from the ramparts of the castle which overlook the square, then a torch light procession through the town, then if you have got any sense you will go in to the Masonic Arms for a few beers.... There is a Balmaclellan which is a village near the town of New Galloway, to reach Balmaclellan you would leave Kirkcudbright on the A 75 heading towards Castle Douglas, at Castle Douglas ignore the first turn off, then after abut a mile, turn left on the A 713 along the side of Loch Ken you will come to New Galloway, then Balmaclellan, I don't know of any other Maclellan, but I'm going to enquire on your behalf.... There is a museum in Kirkcudbright who may be able to assist you with your enquiries, if you have any other information regarding your ancestors it could help me in my search for you, regrettably Maclellan is not one of my wifes ancestors, although her uncle was at one time the curator of Maclellan's castle. As I explained I don't live there now, But still have family there and return whenever I can 'cause its Gods country .. is there any thing else you would like to know April could still be cold, be better for you a bit later in the year .
                              I totally agree with you about waiting until summer. But my sister says that the airfare is outrageous. Being a single mom, I have to save where I can. My sister wants to visit Ireland first, which is fine, then take a ferry over to Scotland. We will be in Ireland for a week and Scotland for a week or more. We will have to find place to stay and have been told that B&B places are pretty cheap. If you have any suggestions as to where we can stay that might save us a little money, I would appreciate your help.
                              I truly think that Maclellandtown is here in the States. In fact I am trying to find out if it is Pennsylvania. That is where my ancestors landed.
                              Once again thank you and please keep in touch. Finding new friends in Scotland is a great joy for me.
                              Jueles

JUELES

Comment

Working...
                              X